PDA

View Full Version : TK379 very late go around at IST airport

Captain Windsock
6th Jul 2023, 06:39
On Wed 5th Jul at about 12:05 local time TK379 did a very late go around at IST Istanbul airport. Does anybody know why? The wx conditions were good so that was not a factor. The go around was I though from less than 30ft and the aircraft was already passing the touchdown zone markings. In fact as the engines spooled up I thought the wheels might have touched the runway.

dixi188
6th Jul 2023, 09:06
Maybe the one in front hadn't cleared the runway yet.
I had something similar at Heathrow when we were told to expect a late landing clearance, I think we went around from about 50 ft.
Also had a late Go Around, in the flare, as pax on a BA A321 due to the previous aircraft not clearing the runway.
Dixi.

DaveReidUK
6th Jul 2023, 11:03
In a late G/A, contact between the wheels and the runway is not uncommon.

treadigraph
6th Jul 2023, 12:36
Had an Emirates A380 thunder over here a few days ago at around 4000' - gotta have been a Heathrow go around; it was. Interestingly, it had been videoed for YouTube and buttoned up as "he was a bit fast on final". My money is on the preceding A319 which looked to be just clearing on to the high speed turn off as the decision needed to be made by the EK crew. Certainly the speeds reported by ADSB didn't seem excessive, around 135-140kt if I recall and the go around started at several hundred feet somewhere before the A30...

FUMR
6th Jul 2023, 21:14
It's a busy airport and, as already mentioned, perhaps the preceding was a tad slow to clear. The landing a/c will safely keep going until there is no option but to G/A. Happens more often around the world than people imagine.

NudgingSteel
9th Jul 2023, 10:14
I see the wind was reported as 040/16 at the time - if associated with thermal activity and any gusting, coupled with curl-over effects from the terminal buildings to the upwind of that approach, it could have been quite turbulent in the flare? Just a guess.

rog747
9th Jul 2023, 11:00
I see the wind was reported as 040/16 at the time - if associated with thermal activity and any gusting, coupled with curl-over effects from the terminal buildings to the upwind of that approach, it could have been quite turbulent in the flare? Just a guess.

Wot No Video!

Those pesky spotters at IST have been very slack...

Doors to Automatic
11th Jul 2023, 16:19
Could have been a windshear warning - mandatory go-around if I am not mistaken.