PDA

View Full Version : VH-DAW Cessna 310 Accident Derby

Valdiviano
20th Jun 2023, 11:21
Many, many hours doing Coastal Surveillance and charters in this 310 and others.
The good old days of GA.

runway16
20th Jun 2023, 11:42
When? where?
R

sagesau
20th Jun 2023, 13:58
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-06-20/derby-plane-crash-police-investigating/102502544

Desert Flower
20th Jun 2023, 21:32
A reported double-engine failure. Hmmm...

DF

hoss
20th Jun 2023, 21:39
Sounds fuellish, is Andrew Roberton still in the ATSB? Perfect assignment.

outnabout
21st Jun 2023, 17:35
Nowhere in that news report does it say double engine failure, Desert Flower.

is this your psychic powers in play again?

Runaway Gun
21st Jun 2023, 18:42
"The ATSB will investigate the forced landing of a Cessna 310 aircraft on the highway south-east of Derby on Tuesday afternoon following a reported double engine failure," he said.

outnabout
21st Jun 2023, 20:21
I stand corrected.

it is such a rarity when Desert Flower gives accurate info…

ADFUS
21st Jun 2023, 22:36
Was operated by BAV I assume?

Desert Flower
21st Jun 2023, 23:40
Nowhere in that news report does it say double engine failure, Desert Flower.

is this your psychic powers in play again?

The story in the original link (which has obviously been changed) stated the following:

An Australian Transport Safety Bureau spokesman said the circumstances surrounding the crash would be investigated.

"The ATSB will investigate the forced landing of a Cessna 310 aircraft on the highway south-east of Derby on Tuesday afternoon following a reported double engine failure," he said.

DF.

flyingfox
26th Jun 2023, 11:46
I knew that aircraft when it was brand new. Also flew it in the early 80's. Must have a few hours on it. I'm pretty sure the registration is the initials of the original owner.

lucille
26th Jun 2023, 17:27
Brand new? You mean to say that someone in Australia actually bought a brand new aircraft in the 80s?

flyingfox
30th Jun 2023, 13:02
Brand new? You mean to say that someone in Australia actually bought a brand new aircraft in the 80s?

I wouldn't know. This was a 1975 model. I flew it in the early 80's.

Valdiviano
1st Jul 2023, 03:03
I flew it 79/80/81, I think it had about 3000 odd hours then.

43Inches
1st Jul 2023, 03:59

A number of new Pipers were delivered between 1977-1982 to Australia, so definitely early 80s there was some new aircraft purchased directly. Then Piper started to struggle so new deliveries dried up by 84... The big gap in new GA aircraft would be between 1984 to around 2000.

Track5milefinal
4th Jul 2023, 08:55
I see the young lad involved in the accident has created a Gofundme page to cover medical expenses related to the incident.

Now I know the owner of the company treats pilots with absolute contempt but isn't a workplace injury covered by the aircraft insurance?? Why should the employee be out of pocket?

Kiwiconehead
4th Jul 2023, 08:56
isn't a workplace injury covered by the aircraft insurance??

The workplace injury should be covered by Workcover!!!

PoppaJo
4th Jul 2023, 09:11
If the young lad is reading this, aircraft accident lawyers do exist. Spend a small portion of the funds on that, get some advice.

Workcover claim forms are online. You don’t need permission or need to advise your employer you are about to hand them one either. They have xx amount of days to respond otherwise many states consider the claim accepted.

However I would keep a lawyer with you, handling that process, handling the communication, especially if the employer is being difficult. Generally a few legal letters landing on the desk will wake them up. Notate all conversations, screenshot all messages also. All communication with your employer would need to go via your legal team. Get your family/or friends onto the task and get the ball rolling.

Left 270
4th Jul 2023, 09:45
That would be a new low, even for that ‘bloke’.

Capt Fathom
4th Jul 2023, 12:24
The workplace injury should be covered by Workcover!!!
Wouldn’t that depend on the cause of the injury?

Desert Flower
4th Jul 2023, 13:04
I see the young lad involved in the accident has created a Gofundme page to cover medical expenses related to the incident.

Poor lad's face is a mess. :(

DF.

Thirsty
4th Jul 2023, 16:00
Poor lad's face is a mess. :(

DF.He hopes the face repairs will enable him to pursue a modelling career should he not be able to return to aviation. The maxillofacial surgeon must be really good.

“The ophthalmologist and surgeon are confident I will fly again.

“I have asked the surgeon to make me look like a model, so if for any reason I can’t fly again, I could have a modelling career. Perhaps a hand model but a model nonetheless.”

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/plane-crash-survivor-braces-for-facial-reconstruction-surgery/news-story/df6610b8d1d851dc8d173c8697ec8fc8

megan
5th Jul 2023, 02:38
With the facial injuries I wonder if the lad was wearing the sash belt, had a good friend who wasn't and face planted the instrument panel, crash site wasn't found until some six hours after the event and by that time he had bled to death, body still warm when found. Fly safe.

43Inches
5th Jul 2023, 02:46
Unfortunately most aircraft are one big crumple zone, so shoulder straps or not in a decent shove the instrument panel will come to you... The harnesses and sashes really are for relatively minor incidents, turbulence, etc, if you nose into something at speed the front of the aircraft will move closer to the back of it, while your momentum is towards the front bits moving aft. Also be interesting in a report as to whether the seat belts held up in the accident and actually did their job, if fitted correctly, that's come up in other accidents involving older aircraft.

As for insurance, the aircraft insurance will not cover the pilots or passengers injuries, liability would cover damage and injuries to those on the ground though. If its a commercial operator then workcover should be involved and any private insurance the pilot has, if it covered aviation activities.