PDA

View Full Version : Getting an FAA type rating on an a/c over 12.5

Oldyeller
31st Aug 2002, 05:32
Hope I'm in the right forum :-)

Some questions about getting an FAA type rating in the US on a jet over 12.5K lbs:

1. Must I convert my commercial and multi engine instrument rating to the FAA standard before beginning training?

2. My instrument rating has lapsed. Do I need to renew my instrument rating before taking an FAA type rating course in the US?

3. I need to write the FAA ATP exam. What's the best way to prep for it? Any good software programs that you can recommend?

That's all I need to know (I already know about the security restrictions, etc.)

Thank you!

mattpilot
31st Aug 2002, 05:55
3. This is the only one i'm 100% sure on. Go get the "ATP test prep from ASA "and memorize/learn all the questions. Thats right, the FAA publishes the test questions :)

Check 6
31st Aug 2002, 10:03
A great study source is King Schools www.kingschools.com. They have CD's, videos, and textbooks.

To get answers to your questions, you can contact FlightSafety International. Your best bet is to contact a Learning Center that provides training for the type of aircraft you desire your type rating in.

In the U.S., the ATPL and Type Rating examination are the same. If you have passed the FAA ATPL written, and are otherwise qualified for an ATPL, when you pass your Type Rating checkride (simulator and/or aircraft), then you receive your Type Rating in that aircraft and your ATPL.

See www.flightsafety.com and search for Learning Centers for the aircraft you are interested in. Then, send that Center an e-mail with all of your questions and they will be most helpful.

:D :D :D

Freak On A Leash
31st Aug 2002, 10:56
1.You`ll need an FAA certificate to get an FAA type rating.Hence if you don`t have a certificate, you don`t have anything to be "endorsed".

2.The sim ride covers the IFR requirements for recurrency as you will be flying approaches, holds, etc., and you are being checked by an FAA examiner.

3.I`ve found that the Gleim books are very good for memorizing the answers.If you already have the hours required for the FAA ATP ride (check FAR part 61 for details), then you should go ahead and take the written, but keep in mind that your written results are only valid for 2 years.For the book try www.gleim.com

Hope that helps:)