PDA

View Full Version : Qantas, Jetstar confirm flights from Western Sydney Airport

MelbourneFlyer
8th Jun 2023, 02:20
Qantas and Jetstar will fly from the new 24-hour airport when it opens in late 2026 with flights to Melbourne, Brisbane and the Gold Coast.
The airline plans to base an initial five single-aisle jets such as the Boeing 737 (although this doesn’t rule out the forthcoming Airbus A321XLR or A220 aircraft) based at Western Sydney, with its low-cost arm Jetstar having ten single-aisle jets.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news/qantas-western-sydney-airport

belongamick
8th Jun 2023, 02:56
So, will either JQ or QF Sydney based domestic crew be picking up duties at WSI?

aussieflyboy
8th Jun 2023, 05:11
So, will either JQ or QF Sydney based domestic crew be picking up duties at WSI?

$50 says it’ll be NJS and the pretty new toy. From what I’ve heard they’ve closed nearly all their lifestyle bases (CNS, PER, DRW) with CBR and HBA soon to close and they’ll give Pilots the option of a WSI base or unemployment.

Qanchor
8th Jun 2023, 06:06
Sooo, one star is in the news earlier this week for all the wrong reasons then this..

"Hey everyone look over here, big news, new route, new service, new airport, new everything, look here, right over here"

Lookleft
8th Jun 2023, 08:02
Good luck to all the men and woman who will be flying into it. Fog in winter and howling westerlies in the autumn and spring. The silver lining if you are based there will be the cheaper housing options that don't require a lengthy commute.

JoeTripodi
8th Jun 2023, 08:13
This explains why in the latest EBA for NJS that the base is now "Sydney" not "SYD" so you can start at one airport then finish at the other. The tolls to drive out that way are so cheap too, what a deal!

maggot
8th Jun 2023, 09:57
Good luck to all the men and woman who will be flying into it. Fog in winter and howling westerlies in the autumn and spring. The silver lining if you are based there will be the cheaper housing options that don't require a lengthy commute.
You forgot more/bigger TS
Will be Low Vis experts for sure

tossbag
8th Jun 2023, 09:58
WSI is a no brainer, if you're crew, live on the western side of the Blue Mountains or down south. Pax, no curfew to no curfew airports. Kingsford Smith would have to be one of the worse drives to an airport in Aus, besides being a prick of an airport.

43Inches
8th Jun 2023, 10:05
Living west of the ranges and commuting by car to WSI? The drive during winter will be more treacherous than trying to land there in the fog and storms.

Slippery_Pete
8th Jun 2023, 10:10
Sooo, one star is in the news earlier this week for all the wrong reasons then this..

"Hey everyone look over here, big news, new route, new service, new airport, new everything, look here, right over here"

Maybe Jetstar are cutting out the middle-man at Mascot and their pilots can then import directly to the western suburbs.

Capt Fathom
8th Jun 2023, 11:43
The good thing about curfews…. you are generally signing OFF by midnight, rather than signing ON.

neville_nobody
8th Jun 2023, 21:29
This explains why in the latest EBA for NJS that the base is now "Sydney" not "SYD" so you can start at one airport then finish at the other. The tolls to drive out that way are so cheap too, what a deal!

Not sure they can do that. They would have to provide transport back to where you signed on. You could technically be made to fly from both but the cost of getting to the second place of employment is fully tax deductible so at least you could justify a nice car to get to your second airport.

Not sure how CASA would view two places of employment either under the new Flight & Duty Regs but since it’s QF group I’m sure CASA will just cave in to whatever the airline wants.

Check_Thrust
8th Jun 2023, 22:39

Which section of the EBA do you refer?

PiperCameron
9th Jun 2023, 02:16
WSI is a no brainer, if you're crew, live on the western side of the Blue Mountains or down south. Pax, no curfew to no curfew airports. Kingsford Smith would have to be one of the worse drives to an airport in Aus, besides being a prick of an airport.

What with it's close proximity to north-south freeways, no curfew, crappy weather, and being a long way away from Bondi Beach, WSI will make a perfect freight hub. Like YMAV, only newer.

JPJP
9th Jun 2023, 07:07

Other more personal accommodations may be required whist living in the ‘cheaper living option’ (they’re cheaper for a reason) - I’d start with a mullet, or perhaps a rat tail. With some prison ink to round out the look.

Maybe a small but professional laboratory for a weekend cook session with the boys. BYO gas mask and precursor chemicals of course.

Too soon ? 🥶

tossbag
9th Jun 2023, 07:13
The drive during winter will be more treacherous than trying to land there in the fog and storms.

I did it for a while and during winter, I think you're being a tad melodramatic :cool:

I realise you know everything Sensai, I hesitated posting as I didn't want to damage your standing but I felt the truth needed to be told.

9th Jun 2023, 12:28
I’d start with a mullet,
Obviously you have not had any of my superb smoked mullet.

Lookleft
10th Jun 2023, 03:17
As long as the mullet is in a nice looking pony-tail or man-bun when you sign on for work then its all good. A little bit of goth eye liner and you are the very essence of a WSI based airline pilot.

brokenagain
10th Jun 2023, 03:26
You can wear a skirt too. Just no beards, we don’t want our pilots looking unprofessional.

Going Nowhere
10th Jun 2023, 03:36
You can wear a skirt too. Just no beards, we don’t want our pilots looking unprofessional.

unless you’re in a regional, in which case they don’t care because they’re all leaving anyway. They can still shave you once you get into QF.

43Inches
10th Jun 2023, 07:00
The beard thing is still debatable, FAA circular AC 120-43 sill stands, but has never prohibited beards. However Air Canada conducted a study using it's own oxygen masks (and only up to 25,000ft) after which the airline allowed trimmed facial hair. So far not sure what grounds you could refuse someone wear a skirt though, especially if they are Scottish or an islander.

Callsign Please
10th Jun 2023, 10:05
I’m told there’s a bunch of mid to high level “project” types looking at the safety of various ponytail positions, so once that mountain is conquered they can spend a few years defining an acceptable stubble?

megan
10th Jun 2023, 23:59
The beard thing is still debatableMilitary guys sporting beards wear oxygen masks and seem to have few issues, we had a few flying the A-4. Photo of the real "Goose", on whom the Tom Cruise movies are based, sporting a beard while flying the F-4.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1024x739/mod330_892_phantom_xt864_1st_f4_to_fly_1000_hours_29_11_72_s cw_478d53a9540067937e4f75bdfbef6dd1fefcb1d0_0d6b66484512eb00 2388f88639fd536e892a3248.jpg

CaptCloudbuster
11th Jun 2023, 00:38
If it was good enough for Pierre Béard then it should be good enough for QF Flight Tech! Viva la Béard revolution comrades!

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1736x1453/img_0418_e95cb65190e30278fffc1a253aa79cef5b46ba62.jpeg

framer
11th Jun 2023, 02:47
All the pilots pushing for beards need to just back off a bit.
As a management pilot I’m finding there is a creeping sense that individuals can do whatever they wish with their facial hair, shoes, clothes, political beliefs etc. It’s very difficult for me, and I see nobody jumping up and down about that. Ever since I was a small child growing up in England I’ve been on the outside, a bit too awkward, a bit too weedy. My teen years were similar, very difficult to get my peers to listen to me, and as a middle aged man I have the same situation at home, children and a wife who wander out of the room half way through very important messages I’m trying to convey to them. The Australian aviation scene is the only place I’ve felt listened to. My deep commitment to pedantry at an almost cellular level has been celebrated by my superiors and now the whole kit and caboodle is being put at risk by people who have decided it’s ‘optional’ as to whether they listen to me or not.
So with that in mind, all I ask is that you think of how people like me feel every now and then. I’m pretty sure there are about 300 of you for every one of me and I often feel alone, threatened, and left out when you waaahh on about your individual wants and needs. The one place I felt good is now under attack and just a little bit of deference would be nice, appreciated even.

Australopithecus
11th Jun 2023, 04:02
Oooooh! Very well done. Kudos.

See if you can rewrite it with “lower classes” mentioned somewhere.

Captain Dart
27th Jun 2023, 02:04
https://www.9news.com.au/national/western-sydney-airport-flight-path-badgerys-creek-sites-noise-predictions-released/5b057689-0cf5-4482-bfa6-0683c5869fa2

smiling monkey
27th Jun 2023, 02:30
What will become of SYD once WSI opens? Will SYD still operate in to the future?

Lapon
27th Jun 2023, 03:40
What will become of SYD once WSI opens? Will SYD still operate in to the future?

I actually wonder what will become of WSI apart from a few freighters and the occasional LCC movement once any 'sweetner deals' expire.

Hope to be proven wrong, but apart from the curfew, Mascot as a location is better for just about everything else: distance to city and Sydney tourist hotspots, onwards air connections, public transport, and home to a fairly significant number of Sydney siders.

PiperCameron
27th Jun 2023, 04:21
Yeah.. From the news article posted above:

"It would be quite devastating for people in the Blue Mountains," he said.
"At the moment, we live in an environment which is pristine and we have a very low ambient noise. Any kind of overflights will be very impactful."

It does seem (from faraway Melbourne) that everyone west of SYD is screaming blue murder with the release of the preliminary flight paths for WSI.

I do feel sorry for those that fly out of Bankstown. It seems there'll be a narrow corridor to get in and out and that's about it.

PoppaJo
27th Jun 2023, 04:49
I actually wonder what will become of WSI apart from a few freighters and the occasional LCC movement once any 'sweetner deals' expire.

Hope to be proven wrong, but apart from the curfew, Mascot as a location is better for just about everything else: distance to city and Sydney tourist hotspots, onwards air connections, public transport, and home to a fairly significant number of Sydney siders.

The Customer and Staff experience at WSI will leave Mascot for dead. Let's not beat around the bush here, Mascot is global poor standard be it airside, carpark or transport.

They are forecasting by 2050 it will overtake Mascot, 2060 second runway operational.

PiperCameron
27th Jun 2023, 05:19
The Customer and Staff experience at WSI will leave Mascot for dead. Let's not beat around the bush here, Mascot is global poor standard be it airside, carpark or transport.

Mascot is overloaded by any measure and most of the infrastructure is well over 30 years old, so, all things considered, it's doing pretty well. Hey, at least there's a train to the airport.. (unlike Melbourne)

The Customer and Staff experience at WSI might well be better.. but only because no-one will be able to get to their flights due to the rioting locals outside complaining about the flight paths.

They are forecasting by 2050 it will overtake Mascot, 2060 second runway operational.

HAHAHAHA!! That's great. Thanks for making my day. :D

cLeArIcE
27th Jun 2023, 05:33
Haha "Welcome international visitors to WSI, take the 10pm Metro to St Mary's and join the Blacktown line to the city for a true western Sydney Experience." "If you have time, we also recommend a quick stop in Mount Druit for a unique cultural adventure"

Yeah, nah don't see WSI taking over SYD for international traffic anytime soon.

KAPAC
27th Jun 2023, 07:01
Where’s the cheapest area to buy a house near airport and how to officially lodge a noise complaint and who wants to join me in starting a movement to close down airport or compensate me for future loss of house value ?

KRviator
27th Jun 2023, 07:01
Haha "Welcome international visitors to WSI, take the 10pm Metro to St Mary's and join the Blacktown line to the city for a true western Sydney Experience." "If you have time, we also recommend a quick stop in Mount Druit for a unique cultural adventure"

Yeah, nah don't see WSI taking over SYD for international traffic anytime soon.You could set up a tourist shop in the terminal and sell "I climbed Mount Druitt" t-shirts...

PoppaJo
27th Jun 2023, 07:56
Where’s the cheapest area to buy a house near airport and how to officially lodge a noise complaint and who wants to join me in starting a movement to close down airport or compensate me for future loss of house value ?
Better yet, start printing those anti airport hats, t shirts and badges to start selling to the locals. I see the BNE anti noise brigade are flogging off merchandise now.

They take it to new levels up that way. I joined the Facebook community for a laugh, someone was complaining about an aircraft overflying at FL360!

You won’t have any issues getting those Greenies on board. They will assist you KAPAC in your mission! They would shut down the world if they could.

Ken Borough
27th Jun 2023, 08:19
You could set up a tourist shop in the terminal and sell "I climbed Mount Druitt" t-shirts...

Don’t you mean 'I climbed Mt Druitt and survived'? :p

aussieflyboy
27th Jun 2023, 08:29
Bring on the curfew - working between 6 and 11 sounds good to me!

topend3
27th Jun 2023, 22:07
Love all these people moaning about the "devastation"some noise will cause them, it's hardly a surprise, the site was planned for an airport about 70 years ago. The NIMBY brigade well and truly alive :)

PiperCameron
28th Jun 2023, 00:17
Love all these people moaning about the "devastation"some noise will cause them, it's hardly a surprise, the site was planned for an airport about 70 years ago. The NIMBY brigade well and truly alive :)

To be fair to the locals and Bankstown Airport student pilots, your first sentence is not correct. Wikipedia (that internet font of all wisdom the rest of us have forgotten), indicates that there have been many different proposals for a second airport near Sydney since the first of the government's fire-side chats in 1962 and that Badgery's Creek wasn't even considered until at least the mid-80's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Sydney_Airport

PoppaJo
28th Jun 2023, 08:48
Perhaps best not tell them about all these supersonic jets in production soon.

The Greens will go into cardiac arrest the day a supersonic jet ever lands downunder.

tossbag
28th Jun 2023, 10:41
Hope to be proven wrong

Won't take long to prove you wrong cobba. Saying KSA is closest to most people in Sydney is horse****, most people just want to get the **** out of an airport and get home once they've grabbed their bags, KSA doesn't lend itself to that. Not saying it's going to overtake KSA anytime soon, but for where i need to go in Sydney, it'll be the western airport for me.

Lapon
28th Jun 2023, 13:28
Won't take long to prove you wrong cobba. Saying KSA is closest to most people in Sydney is horse****, most people just want to get the **** out of an airport and get home once they've grabbed their bags, KSA doesn't lend itself to that. Not saying it's going to overtake KSA anytime soon, but for where i need to go in Sydney, it'll be the western airport for me.

Even for someone closer to WSI, whats the flight frequency to anywhere going to be like VS KSA? Saving a bit of time driving to Mascot is negated if there are only a couple of departures a day vs hourly.

Id say Mascot is closer/more accessible to most in Sydney. The CBD, anywhere East, and the Shire, Innerwest, lower north north shore for a start. Oh KSA at least has a proper public rail network through it too.

Agree KSA is a dump, but that influences anyone's decision to use it as a Sydney/Australian gateway by about nought.

Ivasrus
28th Jun 2023, 20:40
Frequency matters for business travel and KSA's proximity to the Sydney CBD is exceptional, so they've got that market wrapped up tight. But for millions of people, WSI is more convenient - quicker and cheaper to drive (and park). Even the train should be quicker to Parramatta from WSI. Gotta say some of those SIDs STARs look overly 'scenic' :cool:.

Leisure travel I reckon most on any sort of budget will look at both options for international and probably also domestic, so there's bound to be decent competition. And at last you can have dinner or drinks after work in Brisbane in summer and get a late flight home to Sydney.

PiperCameron
29th Jun 2023, 00:17
Even for someone closer to WSI, whats the flight frequency to anywhere going to be like VS KSA? Saving a bit of time driving to Mascot is negated if there are only a couple of departures a day vs hourly.

For that, it's worth a comparison of OOL vs BNE. If I've meetings in a Gold Coast hotel someplace, flight frequency and timing can often make the difference between either flying MEL-OOL (Jetstar, anyone?) or opting to fly MEL-BNE and driving down on that treacherous parking lot they call a freeway.

Frequency matters for business travel and KSA's proximity to the Sydney CBD is exceptional, so they've got that market wrapped up tight. But for millions of people, WSI is more convenient - quicker and cheaper to drive (and park). Even the train should be quicker to Parramatta from WSI. Gotta say some of those SIDs STARs look overly 'scenic' :cool:

So what you're really saying is that WSI is only for holiday travel? Here's a slogan: If you've time to spare... choose WSI! :E

43Inches
29th Jun 2023, 00:31
The Greens will go into cardiac arrest the day a supersonic jet ever lands downunder.

They already land in Australia, and even carry bombs and missiles...

The NIMBYs don't even notice when military hardware comes through Melbourne and Sydney on pitstops, to them it's seeing a plane that causes the angst, they rarely actually hear them. That being said some aircraft like A330s make a seriously annoying howl when they power up after descent, this is really apparent in Melbourne/Sydney where the stars force you down low so the jets can't just glide all the way to final. On a still night the howl can wake you up from sleep, if it's windy or a weekend you won't hear the noises at all over the wind and burnouts.

Rataxes
29th Jun 2023, 12:16

They're too late by several decades but their bearded, mungbean forebears were probably onto it.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/746x412/concorde_17977d9b17eeba385c61d9b673d0d675701a8a31.png

Australopithecus
30th Jun 2023, 02:11
They already land in Australia, and even carry bombs and missiles...

The NIMBYs don't even notice when military hardware comes through Melbourne and Sydney on pitstops, to them it's seeing a plane that causes the angst, they rarely actually hear them. That being said some aircraft like A330s make a seriously annoying howl when they power up after descent, this is really apparent in Melbourne/Sydney where the stars force you down low so the jets can't just glide all the way to final. On a still night the howl can wake you up from sleep, if it's windy or a weekend you won't hear the noises at all over the wind and burnouts.

That sound is duct howl from the round fuel vent openings. Common to the A320 family too. You can try it at home by blowing over a coke bottle.

PiperCameron
30th Jun 2023, 02:35
That sound is duct howl from the round fuel vent openings. Common to the A320 family too. You can try it at home by blowing over a coke bottle.

".. from the round fuel vent openings"? You sure about that??

Australopithecus
30th Jun 2023, 10:11
".. from the round fuel vent openings"? You sure about that??

No, not 100%, but I was told that by an acquaintance at Airbus. They are the relief ports for the surge tanks. I live under a former STAR feeder fix and used to hear A320s howl with doppler shift when they would be performing an idle descent, so its not related to power transients. (Old STARS without many crossing restrictions).

When I used to preflight the A330 I would sometimes wonder at the round opening in the otherwise quite refined wing.

morno
30th Jun 2023, 11:48
What the 320 does have is a very distinctive sound when they throw the speedbrakes out. Never heard the same sound from the 737.

Australopithecus
30th Jun 2023, 16:46
LOL. you are so WRONG

Well, it wouldn’t be the first time. I wrote in good faith, and am happy to be corrected. My long-ago type rating was free so I can’t get my money back.

43Inches
1st Jul 2023, 01:16
I'm pretty sure the noise I've heard is the engine spool up, I hear similar noise while they taxi around. I've also heard the airbrake sound on the 320s it is audible, but less of an annoyance than the howl, some 320s sound like Tie fighters when taxiing around.