PDA

View Full Version : Singapore Airlines Direct Second Officer Entry

esaravanakumar89
6th Jun 2023, 17:29
Hi,
I am Multiengine Commercial pilot with Frozen ATPL, I am certified in United States. i.e FAA. I have 320 hours in Total, I have applied for second officer position with Singapore airlines, But didn't get any response. I am not sure what am i missing in their requirements. Any insight on this would be highly appreciated. Thank you

CXKR2022
7th Jun 2023, 08:09
Seems like nobody has been replied to for that position yet. They might be looking for only local pilots at this moment.
I'm also FAA license holder and I applied for it this March tho.

esaravanakumar89
7th Jun 2023, 13:33
Interesting...!!!! Thanks for the update.

not.ur.ave.jo
11th Jun 2023, 09:24
Hi,
I am Multiengine Commercial pilot with Frozen ATPL, I am certified in United States. i.e FAA. I have 320 hours in Total, I have applied for second officer position with Singapore airlines, But didn't get any response. I am not sure what am i missing in their requirements. Any insight on this would be highly appreciated. Thank you

Hi,

They're calling all the CAAS CPL candidates first. Then the AU, NZ, UK ones.
2 of my friends who are CAAS CPL candidates have already been offered the DESO position starting in Nov 2023. They applied back in Nov 2022.

Frankly I heard that our local airlines do look down on FAA licences as they deem them as too easy to get.. so our priority would be at the bottom of the list...

esaravanakumar89
12th Jun 2023, 11:55
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. To be honest, getting FAA license is not easy and there are strong protocols to obtain a license.

Anyway that is airlines decision.

cruisepower
13th Jun 2023, 08:30
They are yet to call the ones who passed before covid. I am one of them. I am very hopeful they will be calling those who passed the assessment before covid.

Its true there is priority for the CAAS license holders, but I've never heard anything about FAA license holders being looked down. Remember regardless of what license you hold you still need to go through the CAAS license conversion process which is not easy.

If you are not a citizen or PR of Singapore then the chances are very low especially if you have low hrs. Some guys with low hours had issues with immigration because they were considered as inexperienced expats since there is a law that states all expats must have some kind of prior experience however I might be wrong on this one.

Best thing would be to apply and wait cause it took me 3 years to get a call for interview.

a334
6th Jul 2023, 01:09
Out of curiosity, how does the SO position at Singapore work? Is it anything like the Cathay SO position, or are you actually fully rated and can log 100% of the hours while in the seat?

cruisepower
6th Jul 2023, 02:32
Out of curiosity, how does the SO position at Singapore work? Is it anything like the Cathay SO position, or are you actually fully rated and can log 100% of the hours while in the seat?

It's a fully rated first officer position, its just that you are designated as a second officer while doing line training. The average time to go from a SO to FO is 8 months. You can log all the hrs from day 1.

a334
6th Jul 2023, 14:18
It's a fully rated first officer position, its just that you are designated as a second officer while doing line training. The average time to go from a SO to FO is 8 months. You can log all the hrs from day 1.

Excellent, thank you for the info!

PapaEchoIndia
17th Jul 2023, 11:09
Can anyone share the T&C if possible? Thanx in advance

cruisepower
17th Jul 2023, 11:38
Can anyone share the T&C if possible? Thanx in advance

Basic is 2800 Singapore dollars, flying allowance can range between 1000 to 2500 dollars. Once you are FO then it's around 8k to 11k.

Note that no housing or re location allowance are provided anymore for expats.

captain.weird
18th Jul 2023, 23:51
Any info about the package for FOs? Do we bring the hours previously flown, is the command ever gettable as an expat?

VariablePitchP
19th Jul 2023, 03:11
Any info about the package for FOs? Do we bring the hours previously flown, is the command ever gettable as an expat?

Isn’t it funny that when western people go to Asia and the Middle East to work they’re expats but the other way round they’re immigrants.

hamil
19th Jul 2023, 11:07
Isn’t it funny that when western people go to Asia and the Middle East to work they’re expats but the other way round they’re immigrants.

At least do you know the difference between these 2 words?

Hifly72
19th Jul 2023, 12:19
Hi. What’s your previous flying experience?
They are yet to call the ones who passed before covid. I am one of them. I am very hopeful they will be calling those who passed the assessment before covid.

Its true there is priority for the CAAS license holders, but I've never heard anything about FAA license holders being looked down. Remember regardless of what license you hold you still need to go through the CAAS license conversion process which is not easy.

If you are not a citizen or PR of Singapore then the chances are very low especially if you have low hrs. Some guys with low hours had issues with immigration because they were considered as inexperienced expats since there is a law that states all expats must have some kind of prior experience however I might be wrong on this one.

Best thing would be to apply and wait cause it took me 3 years to get a call for interview.

krismiler
19th Jul 2023, 13:02
Basic is 2800 Singapore dollars, flying allowance can range between 1000 to 2500 dollars. Once you are FO then it's around 8k to 11k.

Note that no housing or re location allowance are provided anymore forexpats.

That’s doable if you’re young and single, but you need to live like the locals. You’ll be renting a HDB apartment, eating in hawker centres and travelling by bus. Forget luxury condominiums, private school for the kids and owning a car. Income tax is low but the cost of living has skyrocketed.

Hifly72
19th Jul 2023, 13:15
Hi everyone. I have around 2200 hours on ATR . what are the chances to get a call? Also how long it take to invite you for interviews? Anyone insider or who have benn called for interview recently? That’s doable if you’re young and single, but you need to live like the locals. You’ll be renting a HDB apartment, eating in hawker centres and travelling by bus. Forget luxury condominiums, private school for the kids and owning a car. Income tax is low but the cost of living has skyrocketed.

cruisepower
19th Jul 2023, 15:33
Hi. What’s your previous flying experience?

4000+ hrs on mostly on light twin engine planes. Zero Jet or heavy turbo hours.

cruisepower
19th Jul 2023, 15:36
Hi everyone. I have around 2200 hours on ATR . what are the chances to get a call? Also how long it take to invite you for interviews? Anyone insider or who have benn called for interview recently?

Yes your chances are good I would say but currently I havent heard of any invitations for expat Second officers. I am still waiting for mine as I've cleared all the stages and medical before covid.

arthurden
22nd Jul 2023, 14:56
Hey guys,

Has anyone heard back from Singapore after applying for DESO?

Also, question for those that had an assessment with them and awaiting the call - how long did you initially wait? What are the assessment stages and possible tips?

thank you!

pfvspnf
22nd Jul 2023, 20:56
300 hour FAA NO WAY but 300 hour JAA has a chance, masters were the brits in sing

cruisepower
22nd Jul 2023, 21:16
300 hour FAA NO WAY but 300 hour JAA has a chance, masters were the brits in sing

During my interview I was told low hr expat pilots have very less chance of getting a call regardless of their state license. This is due to some immigration law whereby some jobs require prior experiences. This was before covid I am not sure if it has changed.

MbZ_10
27th Aug 2023, 21:24
Hi,
The FAA has ATP single engine and multi engine. Which one does Singapore require? They only wrote their frozen ATPL on their requirements.

Mach1me
26th Nov 2023, 10:34
Any idea when they would accept applications next?
I am desperate