PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 vs Class 2 vs Class 3 Medical

bakerin
5th Jun 2023, 16:41
Please accept my apologies if this post is misplaced within the forum, as I am uncertain of the appropriate subforum for this inquiry. I am a 17-year-old aspiring pilot who is about to embark on the exciting journey of studying modular aviation. As I begin my preparations, I find myself facing a dilemma regarding the selection of the most suitable medical class. With limited financial resources at my disposal, I am seeking guidance from the experienced members of this esteemed community.

My primary concern lies in determining whether I should pursue a Class 1, Class 2, or Class 3 medical examination. The reason behind my decision to undertake this assessment beforehand is to ensure that my eyesight meets the requisite standards for a career in aviation. As the eyesight requirement is of utmost importance, I believe it is prudent to ascertain its adequacy early on in my pursuit.

While I am aware that a Class 1 medical examination encompasses a more comprehensive evaluation, I am unclear about the specific components included in the Class 2 and Class 3 assessments. My limited financial means prompt me to consider whether undertaking a Class 2 or Class 3 medical examination might provide me with sufficient information regarding my eyesight, without incurring the substantial costs associated with a Class 1 examination.

In light of the above, I kindly request the experienced aviators of this forum to share their valuable insights and expertise. Your recommendations regarding the merits and differences of each medical class, particularly with regard to evaluating eyesight, would greatly assist me in making an informed decision. Despite extensive searches online, I have been unable to find comprehensive information that clarifies these distinctions. Therefore, I humbly turn to this esteemed community of knowledgeable pilots, hoping to benefit from your wisdom and firsthand experiences.

Thank you for your attention, and I eagerly anticipate your guidance - bakerin.

sorvad
5th Jun 2023, 18:19
Just take the financial hit and do the Class One. Peace of mind knowing you’ve been assessed fit for the Class you need to pursue your career is worth immeasurably more than a couple of hundred quid saving.

Jordan199721
6th Jun 2023, 10:13
Going through ATPL’s and not even being sure if you can obtain a Class 1 would be a terrible idea. For modular, I believe most schools would want to see a Class 1 Certificate before you even start the course (I know mine did)

Class 1 initial is around £600. Imagine spending £5k on a full time course, or even £3k on a part time course, to get all the way to the end and find out you can’t get a class 1 - then you’d be £3k-£5k down, rather than just the £600.

Spending the £600 now will be a very wise investment.

In addition, you mention your eye sight. The Class 1 Medical also looks at things which you’ll have never considered. So you might be fine on your eyesight, but not so fine on your hearing (for example).

For reference, here is the CAA link which tells you about all of the requirements for Class 1.

https://www.caa.co.uk/commercial-industry/pilot-licences/medical/medical-examination-information/

I’ve never felt so passionate about any topic as I do this topic. Please, if you’re looking for a career in aviation, get your Class 1 - nothing less. Don’t even think about 2/3. Do whatever you have to do to finance it! It is VITAL!

OvertHawk
6th Jun 2023, 13:27
Do not even consider starting out on any training with the aspiration of going commercial without obtaining a class 1 medical as your first step.

It could be the most cost effective £600 you ever spend.

parkfell
9th Nov 2023, 08:08
….My primary concern lies in determining whether I should pursue a Class 1, Class 2, or Class 3 medical examination. The reason behind my decision to undertake this assessment beforehand is to ensure that my eyesight meets the requisite standards for a career in aviation. As the eyesight requirement is of utmost importance, I believe it is prudent to ascertain its adequacy early on in my pursuit….
…. might provide me with sufficient information regarding my eyesight, without incurring the substantial costs associated with a Class 1 examination.

Looking at your earlier posts, you imply that you knew there was an issue with your eyesight requirements.
Your GP can refer you to a consultant ophthalmologist.
Whilst this whole experience is nothing short of a bodyblow, there are many aspects of aviation not requiring a class one medical.
Get your ‘A’ levels, go to university, enjoy life & then pursue aviation as a career.