PDA

View Full Version : Double award for former Australian pilot

TLoraine
5th Jun 2023, 08:57
Dr Susan Michaelis who previously flew for Air North, Lloyd Aviation, Eastern Australia and National jet Systems (Qantas Link) and then retrained with a PhD in Safety Sciences and also trained to become a qualified Air Accident Investigator, became the first Australian to receive a British Citizen Award in the House of Lords in January 2023 for her 25 years of work to make air travel safer. Last week at the Chelsea Flower Show in Lodnon a new rose was also released in her name called the Dr Susan Michaelis Rose.

Lookleft
5th Jun 2023, 10:06
More specifically she has been a tireless champion and campaigner of improving the airline operators, manufacturers and the regulators response to poor cabin air quality. She flew 146's and that led to her losing her medical and going down the cabin air quality rabbit hole. During COVID she was part of an online conference on the subject and it certainly opened up my eyes to the issue. It is on a par with the tobacco industries response to lung cancer research.

pithblot
5th Jun 2023, 15:54
Hey Sue,
A lot of water gone under the bridge since the Air North days! Who would have thought, back then, that anyone would have a rose named in their honour?
You deserve it, well done, good on ya!
pithblot

bloated goat
5th Jun 2023, 21:23
A lot of water gone under the bridge since back in the Southern Air Services days. You were my first flight instructor through to my Un-restricted. 35 years and 14 thousand plus hours since then I still look at a Polaroid photo my Mum took of me and you standing next to ITQ just after my first solo. Thank you for your contribution to this industry and congratulations on your achievements.. 👍

B772
22nd Jun 2023, 05:27
The last I heard Susan was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer. Any updated news ?

LAME2
25th Jun 2023, 06:48
Some links

https://www.susanmichaelis.com/lobular

https://www.lobularmoonshot.org