PDA

View Full Version : Psychotic Episode EASA Class One

JamesA20
3rd Jun 2023, 12:29
Good Afternoon Ladies and Gents,

Unfortunately last year I suffered a psychotic episode. My EASA class 1 medical has of course been suspended.

Upon reading the EASA quick reference guidebook it appears ‘Applicants with history of a functional psychotic disorder should be assessed as unfit’, however there is a further note ‘A fit assessment may be given if a cause can be identified as one which is transient, has ceased and minimal risk of recurrence’. My AME has quoted the rules also and his take on it is fairly positive.

Has anyone heard of any pilots returning to flying after psychotic episodes? The rules imply it is possible however I’m skeptical.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

'I' in the sky
13th Jun 2023, 07:01
Yes I know of one. Once returned to flying status had to see a CAA (UK) psychiatrist every six months for a couple of years and since then no problem.

JamesA20
13th Jun 2023, 17:14
Okay that is encouraging,

Thanks for that,

Regards

J

yolopilot22
15th Apr 2024, 12:50
Good Afternoon Ladies and Gents,

Unfortunately last year I suffered a psychotic episode. My EASA class 1 medical has of course been suspended.

Upon reading the EASA quick reference guidebook it appears ‘Applicants with history of a functional psychotic disorder should be assessed as unfit’, however there is a further note ‘A fit assessment may be given if a cause can be identified as one which is transient, has ceased and minimal risk of recurrence’. My AME has quoted the rules also and his take on it is fairly positive.

Has anyone heard of any pilots returning to flying after psychotic episodes? The rules imply it is possible however I’m skeptical.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Hello James, I hope you are well. I have the same issue as you. Is there any chance that we can get in contact as I want to discuss mine further? I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you!