PDA

View Full Version : Career advice please

Auspilot
31st Aug 2002, 02:41
This is my first post and I am very new to this website, couldn't see a Newbie forum so I figured this one would do. I am on my way to obtaining my Australian CPL (Student with 9hrs in a C150!) and passes in Australian ATPL theory. My best option from where I am looking is to head to the remote parts of Australia and knock on as many doors as I can once I have my CPL to land my first job doing joy flights or charter. I am a British citizen as well as an Australian so the opportunity exists for me to launch my career in the UK. Can anyone from the UK enlighten me on what are currently the best opportunities for pilots with no flight time (apart from that needed for your CPL). I need some pointers on how best to get started so that I can do what I love and earn money to pay the bills at the same time. Should I even be considering working in the UK?

All advice will be gratefully received

:)

topend3
31st Aug 2002, 08:47
get out now while you can

OzExpat
31st Aug 2002, 13:54
Auspilot ... there's a couple of folks who inhabit this forum from time to time who will be able to tell you about the UK. Watch for replies from either Redsnail or Tinstaafl, or both! Whatever you decide to do, I wish you every success. :)

automan
31st Aug 2002, 17:46
Hi Auspilot,

Im in the uk at the moment, you really need to decide were abouts you want to stay, if you come over to the uk ,you will need to convert your aussie licence ,this will mean doing the 14 jaa exams and to get some kind of job, you will need a flight instructors ticket...to build those precious hours..

But if you stay in aus, im sure you will need to get the same hours somehow,doing what is the big question.

regards

automan:cool:

shakespeare
4th Sep 2002, 10:03
Welcome to the fraternity Auspilot.

I am currently working in Oz but have also worked in Europe up until recently. It will be much cheaper for you to get your license here in Oz, and probably much quicker due to the significantly better weather.

There are far more opportunities in Europe for pilots with experience. Generally Captains do not have much of a problem getting work in Europe/UK. F/O's find it a little harder although not impossible.

I suggest you work your butt off and get your ozzie subjects and then do the British subjects as well. I know it is a lot of work but you are young and energetic and have got plenty of time. The ability to be able to go over to Europe and work is a fantastic string to add to your bow.

Good luck with your career and be prepared to stick it out in the tough times. You wont regret it.

P.S. You will see some pretty sick and twisted contributors in the Oz forums. They are not the norm in Oz aviation!

awetzel
5th Sep 2002, 00:38
Invest your training money where you will get a guaranteed return.

If you want to throw your money on a non-guaranteed career continue your pilot training. Fly for the fun of it and you will not get too disappointed, just in case the career is not there at the end of it. :eek: :eek: :eek:

404 Titan
6th Sep 2002, 03:46
G'day Auspilot,

Don't get too discouraged by some of the posts you read here.

My advice is to have another job while you do your training. Don't get yourself into too much debt as your first job usually won't pay much, and be prepared to go bush for a couple of years after you have completed it. After that Cairns or Darwin should be your next place to gain some multi-engine command time. Try and avoid flying jobs in your early career that only gives you F/O experience, as this will be a hindrance for that job with QF or CX down the road because you won't have much command experience. Instructing is OK. I did it for six years and then charter for four. I was also Chief Pilot for the last company, which operated C310's up to C404's. I employed a number of ex-instructors and never had any problems with them fitting into the charter environment. Most of them though came from instructing jobs that also gave them charter experience, ie, flying schools outside the capital cities. I think doing your JAA or UK subjects is a good idea. You may be able to do them in Aus at BAE Systems Adelaide. Give them a call.

Good luck with your training. When trying for that first job, don't get discouraged by all the knock backs. Remain positive and keep trying. We have all been there.

ClearBlueWater
6th Sep 2002, 16:02
Auspilot, there's an ongoing belief in Oz and NZ that picking up a flying job in Europe is easy compared to doing the same in there. Look around the forums on PPRUNE and it should become evident to you that there are a heck of a lot of pilots in Europe and too few jobs. Low timers struggle here just as much as they do down your way. The main difference is that we don't have the outback jobs, so while an experienced pilot may have more opportunity in Europe a low timer may well have less, unless you instruct and even then don't assume that's a given.

One other thing, unless you speak the language of a particular European country 'Europe' will probably constrict down to UK, assuming you speak good English(!), especially for the low timer.

You've got to be in to win. Play, and good luck.