PDA

View Full Version : Hours building when on integrated course.

Harves
13th Mar 2001, 19:34
As a lot of you are probably by now more than aware, I am desperately trying to decide between OATS and BAE. I have been just about to sign on the dotted line with both the above when something has stopped me.

The latest in this saga....I contacted BAE to tie things up and one area that is imporatnt to me is getting my hours up as soon as possible. I recently started on the PPL route (before Class1 came good) and I do not want to stop flying for 16 weeks while doing Ground School.

BAE told me that it would not be possible to take additional lessons because the structure of the course would be damaged. I am lucky enough to be able to pay for it, but this was not the problem.

Can anyone enlighten me here. I just want to keep my hand in and build a few extra hours that I would lose by not going to OATS

Hap
13th Mar 2001, 22:17
Harves,

Although I've got a month before I start my course at OATS, I'm under the impression that the initial ground school part of the course is pretty hectic. I'm not convinced there'd be enough time to do any hour building alongside ground school - the time might be better spent working towards first time passes in the ATPL exams...

I'm in a similar position in that I've been starting on my PPL and I'm gutted that I'll have to study for 19 weeks before I can start flying. Then again, I'll have 3 months of flying for the next stage of the course before returning to ground school.

At the end of the day, both courses get you to the required number of hours....

Delta Wun-Wun
13th Mar 2001, 23:43
Harves,
Dont panic,what becomes rusty in your flying whilst studying for the exams will soon come back when you are flying all day every day.Treat each section as a goal to be achieved.Consentrate on the exams,get them done,then worry about the flying.I once saw a comment on prune from a guy who had just finished his atpl exams.He stated there was in his opinion as much studying involved in them as in the degree he had completed the year before.Getting through all 14 exams in 3 mths is no mean feat.One thing at a time.
Good luck,keep us updated.

------------------
GET THE BLOODY NOSE DOWN!

Harves
14th Mar 2001, 16:07
Thanks HAP and Delta - I know your right, but I am terribly impatient (keep that quiet in any future interviews) and just love flying.

Gagging to get on basically.

Your on the April course then HAP. If you don't mind me asking, are you self sponsored? If so what decided you on OATS.

As you probably know, I have been having terrible problems deciding on OATS or BAe. Any advice either of you? It will be one or th eother for April!

Cheers and Good Luck

Delta Wun-Wun
15th Mar 2001, 00:31
Harves,
I am afraid I cant help you on that one.The final decision can only be yours.I am sure both schools have their plus and minus points.Choose wisely and the very best of luck.

------------------
GET THE BLOODY NOSE DOWN!

Harves
15th Mar 2001, 16:57
Appreciate it anyway Delta!!

Hap
15th Mar 2001, 22:26
Harves,

Yes, I'm self sponsored and I will soon know the true meaning of debt.... :) So, like you I've put a lot of thought into my choice.

When it came down to OATS or BAE, I chose OATS as I really don't fancy spending a whole year away from all my loved ones and pals. It will be a tough old year....