PDA

View Full Version : Revisiting a childhood dream...

EngineerWithDreams
30th May 2023, 10:22
Hi All. New to the forum, first post.

I'm a Part 66 qualified engineer holding multiple maintenance licence categories and type ratings, with both UK and EASA licences. 20++ years overall maintenance experience, 7+ as a licenced engineer, and have worked on all kinds of aircraft from GA stuff to wide body fixed wing Airbus, various helicopters, and in both mechanical and avionic certifying roles.

Recently I've found myself in a position where I have a rather large amount of free time during working hours, so much so that I'm contemplating studying further, possibly within the expanse that is aviation. I would be able to complete any CBT based theory during my on roster and any practical experience requirements on my off time.

I always wanted to learn to fly, but never had the means or the time until now to be able to make this happen. So, some 20 years after completing my initial apprenticeship in aircraft maintenance, I'm now revisiting what might seem like a mid life crisis hare-brained childhood idea of taking to the skies and learning to pilot the very things ive been maintaining my entire adult life!

For the record, I have no interest in going down the route of any degree or purely academic studies as I'm not the type of person to sit behind a desk, it literally bores the living daylights out of me, and I dont see how it would be of any use in furthering myself beyond where I am now considering dont want to fly a desk. Up to now it's been "give me a tool box and an aircraft, and I'm happy" kind of thing, but circumstances have now allowed a childhood dream to possibly be within reach, even if it's purely as a hobbyist aviator.

I guess I'm just wondering if this is something worth doing outside of just "because I want to"? This forum seems like a good place to start asking others and use as a sounding board before I commit to it. Assuming initially I would just go for a basic PPL, there's a chance I might consider extending beyond this if there is a good enough reason or potential to be involved in something more diversified than purely maintenance or purely flying, if such a thing even exists in aviation.

Apologies for what may come across as a bit of a sporadic post, the gist of it really, is trying to figure out if its worth using the spare time to go down this route or forget this "kids dream" once and for all and go off on a tangent to something completely different, like another area of technological expertise for example.

I welcome any thoughts or ideas from everyone on here who has been through/is going through any sort of flying training, or is otherwise involved in the technical aspects of aviation in any field!

Thanks in advance!

mrguy
31st May 2023, 13:44
I am involved in aviation in a technical role and I have a CPL, currently training for Multi IR.

If I were in your position I would contact a local flying school and get yourself booked in for a trail lesson. If you have the means, the ability and the motivation to get at least a PPL then I would wholeheartedly recommend it.

If you're prepared to spend the money then I can only see benefits from doing it, in both your professional and personal life.

​​​​​​Feel free to drop me a DM if you have any questions.

EngineerWithDreams
31st May 2023, 17:54
Not really sure why thats happening. It's literally empty. Never mind, happy to converse in the thread if you are

redsnail
31st May 2023, 18:51
If you're just interested in getting a PPL to use along side your engineering life, then why not? As Mrguy suggests, get that trial flight done and see what happens.
A CPL and engineering in Australia means you're never out of work. But that's a different story.

Anyway, you could consider being a flying spanner and a variety of jobs.