PDA

View Full Version : Time to command

RickSanchez
29th May 2023, 09:37
Just wondering if anyone out there has any info on time to command right now for the major carriers in North America please.

Delta
AA
United
etc...

Cheers

bafanguy
29th May 2023, 13:48
RS,

I haven't made the effort to keep up with most airlines and their upgrade times. I hear some pretty wild stuff coming from Delta with people upgrading within a year or two. My son who's in his 4th year could hold captain on B717 and A320 in KATL and B767 capt in KLAX (IIRC). Some people have gotten an upgrade with far less time than that.

I would issue a caveat to these stories and will risk telling you something you already know: These events are FAR from the norm here. Do not be misled or even encouraged by them as they can radically change before lunch time today. The first time the economy takes a dump and positions get cancelled, these VERY junior, out-of-seniority upgrades will find themselves back in the RHS in a flash. Or if lots of people who could hold captain but have passed it up for one reason or another decide now is the time, these Wunderkinds will get their captain position cancelled and get bumped back to a position more in line with their seniority.

So, it's fun to watch while it lasts but the question is how long will it last. No one knows...don't plan on getting in on it.

Sunrig
29th May 2023, 14:28
Also keep in mind- whatever your previous experience is- you have to fly 1000 hours part 121 in the right seat. There’s no way around it. Also think about the fact why all the pilots senior to you ( which are thousands) don’t want this position and prefer to stay in the right seat with better QOL, better scheduling and most likely similar pay.

Sunrig
29th May 2023, 14:37
Also to answer your question- United Captain awards can be held after being off of probation ( 1year) and have flown 500 hours in United. That is for NB 737 or 320. 75/76 in SFO as well. 777 or even 787 upgrades are currently 20-25 years away.
I think that in Delta upgrades are available within the first year.
From what I hear upgrades at American run currently at about 2-2 1/2 years for the narrow bodies.

RickSanchez
30th May 2023, 20:08
I appreciate those responses.

Yes like anything in this business you only ever hear the good stories!

Do you think that with United seemingly having more orders up their sleeves than any other major (my sources aren’t 100% reliable) that United will see the best progression in the next decade to come? Orders are only orders etc, but I’m interested to hear the opinions from anyone with boots on the ground so to speak.

On a side note as you both seem to be fairly knowledgeable on the majors, if someone’s looking at trying to base themselves in Colorado and has enough time to apply to any carrier, which operator would you point them to?

I’m looking at commuting gigs as well.

Cheers!

Sunrig
31st May 2023, 04:05
Speaking of progression I would say American is the place to be. They still have the most retirements ahead. Work rules and QOL are maybe not as good. Right now, I think Delta has the best contract, but they already have hired a lot of people in recent years. So you might not see Widebody Captain in your career.
United has a lot of orders ahead ( we’re supposed to get a narrowbody every 3 days on average). The 100 787’s are both for replacement and growth. If your goal is to fly a widebody United is your best bet.
If you are looking at Colorado I would recommend United and maybe Southwest if you are ok with flying a 737 for the rest of your career and being in the right seat for approximately 10 years.
You will still have a lot of earnings potential there as well as days off. If you are relocating anyways I wouldn’t recommend starting to commute to a base. That will wear you out and will reduce your quality of life and happiness with job immensely.
If you can live within 2-3 hours of driving distance your life will be much better.

bafanguy
31st May 2023, 05:49
RS,

If you're pondering bases and haven't seen it, this map might interest you:

http://www.pilotdomiciles.com/pilot_domiciles-1-8-2023.png

737pilotguy
5th Jun 2023, 12:12
RS,

If you're pondering bases and haven't seen it, this map might interest you:

http://www.pilotdomiciles.com/pilot_domiciles-1-8-2023.png

This is a great resource. Another good one is:
https://secure.atpflightschool.com/become-a-pilot/pilot-jobs/airline-domiciles/

Quality of life is a big thing and the "right" homebase is crucial. Of course, you can't guarantee a domicile even after getting into a specific airline...

bafanguy
6th Jun 2023, 08:14
As to Rick's original question of upgrade times, here's some data for American Airlines:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iNQaOMhdGa5H3pLFa5yJBWz8zQEPDH2_lrztvyydok4/edit#gid=0

Maybe this for Delta. Not sure I understand the format;

http://widgetseniority.com/

Amadis of Gaul
4th Jul 2023, 22:08
I think Delta has the best contract, but they already have hired a lot of people in recent years. So you might not see Widebody Captain in your career.

Actually, 76ER upgrade time at Delta is currently running about 6 months. (yes, months)

Amadis of Gaul
4th Jul 2023, 22:24
I appreciate those responses.

Yes like anything in this business you only ever hear the good stories!

Do you think that with United seemingly having more orders up their sleeves than any other major (my sources aren’t 100% reliable) that United will see the best progression in the next decade to come? Orders are only orders etc, but I’m interested to hear the opinions from anyone with boots on the ground so to speak.

On a side note as you both seem to be fairly knowledgeable on the majors, if someone’s looking at trying to base themselves in Colorado and has enough time to apply to any carrier, which operator would you point them to?

I’m looking at commuting gigs as well.

Cheers!

This probably won't seem like very helpful advice, but I find chasing upgrade times to be about as practical as trying to feed a porterhouse to a vegan. This industry is so dynamic and unpredictable that things can change on a dime, for better or worse.