PDA

View Full Version : No more fully-online EASA ATPL theory?

flyerm8
28th May 2023, 10:12
I've been told last week by my ATPL theory school that EASA have rolled-back the ability to conduct courses fully online. This was allowed due to the pandemic but now I'm told the rules have reverted back to the old antiquated system of requiring something like 10% of the theory hours to be delivered in-person.

Has anyone else been told the same?

paco
28th May 2023, 14:32
It is in person online :) If you can appear in court over a videolink I see no reason why we can't do this either.

I've heard nothing like that.

rudestuff
7th Jun 2023, 08:29
I never understood the requirement for x-number of hours for this or that. Surely if the test is appropriate then passing it should be the only requirement.

Alex Whittingham
7th Jun 2023, 09:49
Fully online courses are explicitly permitted for distance learning approvals by AMC1 ORA.ATO.305(b). This only applies to the DL requirement that at least 10% of the course time must be spent 'in the Classroom'. It says "Classroom instruction delivered by an instructor to a student may include videoconferencing appropriate to the task if the necessary level of communication is ensured and appropriate equipment and tools are available". Most likely explanation is that ATOs operating a full 'classroom-based' model rather than DL were given State-by-State exemptions to operate remote study during COVID times and that these exemptions are now being withdrawn either State-by-State or in all States on EASA's instructions.