PDA

View Full Version : Reason for Cancellation?

Ikijibiki
28th May 2023, 09:15
What is the best way to determine the cause of a flight cancellation?

My friend's flight, BA 190 from AUS to LHR was cancelled on May 22, no reason given. BA simply refunded the airfare and said good luck buddy. My friend had to pay much more (about 20%) to rebook the family on the next available flight about a week later, which now included a 9-hour layover for the connection to the final destination in the EU. Damn BREXIT!

Apparently, the inbound flight never left the UK, so apparently the issue was with BA191 at LHR on May 22. It doesn't even show up on the Past Flights list on Flightaware.

barry lloyd
28th May 2023, 09:57

My friend's flight, BA 190 from AUS to LHR was cancelled on May 22, no reason given. BA simply refunded the airfare and said good luck buddy. My friend had to pay much more (about 20%) to rebook the family on the next available flight about a week later, which now included a 9-hour layover for the connection to the final destination in the EU. Damn BREXIT!

Apparently, the inbound flight never left the UK, so apparently the issue was with BA191 at LHR on May 22. It doesn't even show up on the Past Flights list on Flightaware.

The aircraft concerned had arrived from Accra early on the morning of 22nd, as per the schedule. I can only imagine that it must have gone tech prior to operating the Austin flight BA191, and that there was no other aircraft available.

barry lloyd
28th May 2023, 09:59

The aircraft concerned had arrived from Accra early on the morning of 22nd, as per the schedule. I can only imagine that it must have gone tech prior to operating the BA 191 Austin flight, and that there was no other aircraft available.

Ikijibiki
28th May 2023, 10:06
The aircraft concerned had arrived from Accra early on the morning of 22nd, as per the schedule. I can only imagine that it must have gone tech prior to operating the Austin flight BA191, and that there was no other aircraft available.

barry lloyd: Do you happen to know what the prevailing regulations are concerning passenger rights and compensation post-Brexit? Are the airlines still operating under the EU 261 regulations?

As far as I know, my friend was not offered alternate booking options or compensation nor advised of their passenger rights.

back to Boeing
28th May 2023, 11:34
Google is your friend. I seem to remember that Bott and Co were one of the original solicitor firms that helped define eu 261 by going after airlines.

https://www.bottonline.co.uk/flight-delay-compensation/claim-guides/eu-regulation-261-2004#when

Ikijibiki
28th May 2023, 16:32
Google is your friend. I seem to remember that Bott and Co were one of the original solicitor firms that helped define eu 261 by going after airlines.

https://www.bottonline.co.uk/flight-delay-compensation/claim-guides/eu-regulation-261-2004#when

I actually did a lot of searching, but wasn't able to find a definitive answer, nothing like your site shows -- "EU Regulation 261 Is Now Part Of UK Law". Thanks for the link. These lawyers are asking for more than half the claim if they win! Seems excessive to me. In the past, I've been able to receive compensation directly from airlines (no fees) using their online claim form.

Tocsin
29th May 2023, 09:49
There is a wealth of information on the BA sub-forum of another site - not sure if I can post a direct link but seaching for "flyertalk ba 261/2004" should get you to the main page.

Edited to add - though it is useful to know the cancellation/ delay cause, this is only usually available online for a few days after the flight date. It is however up to the airline to disclose the reason and to prove that there were exceptional circumstances to any adjudicator or judge.

SpringHeeledJack
29th May 2023, 16:22
What happened to the airline getting you on the next available alternative flight ? Has that gone out the window ?

Tocsin
30th May 2023, 10:14
What happened to the airline getting you on the next available alternative flight ? Has that gone out the window ?

That's another line to take - under 'duty of care' and a different part of 261/2004. It is important that a refund is _not_ accepted as that extinguishes any duty by the airline. If the airline won't give an acceptable re-route (or you have proof you tried to contact them several times without success), then it should be possible to book with another airline yourself and claim the cost back. With BA, this will almost certainly involve going to CEDR adjudication or MCOL (Money Claim On Line - 'small claims court') so there is a small risk.

261 compensation is separate from, and additional to, the 'duty of care' bit. And all of this is dependent upon airline and destination being covered by 261 - not all circumstances are. Again, the FlyerTalk forum has lots of info and examples.