PDA

View Full Version : FAA-ATP from EASA papers in California

1201alarm
22nd May 2023, 13:07
Dear colleagues,

currently I hold a US private pilot licence which is not current (no biannual in the last two years). I also hold an EASA ATPL licence with a valid A320 typerating and have more than 1500h PIC.

Currently considering to make the FAA ATP papers.

Since having family in the KSFO area, what would be a place to do so in this area? Does anyone know a flight school / training center in the area?

How long is such a course to be expected to last? Are there even availabilities of instructors or simulators?

And do I need a US class 1 medical, or is a class 3 sufficient for the training? So far I only held a US class 3 (of course also EASA class 1) since sufficient for my US private.

Any advice is appreciated.

bafanguy
22nd May 2023, 16:32
And do I need a US class 1 medical, or is a class 3 sufficient for the training? So far I only held a US class 3 (of course also EASA class 1) since sufficient for my US private.

I'm not an aviation lawyer but check out this FAR. To my eye, it says NO medical certificate is required to take an ATP practical test in a simulator:

FAR Part 61.23(b)(8)

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-14/chapter-I/subchapter-D/part-61#61.23

ZebraFlyer
28th May 2023, 19:29
How long is such a course to be expected to last? Are there even availabilities of instructors or simulators?

You will need to do the ATP-CTP ground course. It's a total waste of time for someone in your case and goes through things like high level weather, jet operations, multi crew environments. You cannot avoid this, even with overseas multi crew experience that makes the whole exercise moot.

You can do the ATP in an A320 or most jet aircraft. As long as your last flight (maybe 3 takeoffs and landings?) was within the last 3 years. They refer to it as an "A320 Upgrade Course" or something like that. It's effectively an abbreviated A320 type rating, so you will get both the FAA ATP and an A320 type rating on your licence. I did it several months ago and it was 1 day ground school, 3 sims, 1 day of oral/checkride.

You do not require a medical of any sort to do the course/check.