PDA

View Full Version : EASA to FAA PPL or vice versa

Trogdortheburninator
19th May 2023, 10:54
I am considering taking PPL training in Europe because thats where I am currently located and the hourly costs for rental are pretty low. I am planning a trip to the states later this year, and I have need for some advice. Because of my age (16) I cannot fly solo here in the EU, but I can fly the 35 dual hours. My question is, can I take the theory course and then do these 35 hours here? If I did this could I do the 10 solo hours in the US and then apply for an FAA license? I know you can fly almost anywhere in the world with a PPL, but could I continue my training here in Europe with an FAA PPL? Or would I need to do FAA night rating, FAA multi engine, FAA instrument, etc, before applying for the EASA CPL? Would I be able to add the equivalent of these rating here in the EU to my FAA license? I need some guidance on this for sure. Thank you in advance.

rudestuff
19th May 2023, 11:49
Why can't you fly solo?

340drvr
19th May 2023, 13:04
I can only speak to your US/FAA queries. There is no additional "night rating" for FAA . As to coming to USA to solo, yes, theoretically you could do that, but, no matter how much previous training you might have, any instructor would need to see you demonstrate the basic skills required for solo flight (stalls, basic maneuvers, landing competency, etc.), I'd guess 2-3 hours dual at a bare minimum. You'd also have to complete a pre-solo written exam, usually done open-book, administered by your instructor (not at an official 'testing center'), this is just between you and instructor/flight school, but a requirement nonetheless. There's also the non-US citizen security/background checks required before any training takes place, do-able, but a major hoop, for sure. Applying for the FAA PPL, would require taking and passing the appropriate knowledge exam, no matter what previous EASA theory training you had completed. And, again, you'd have to show an instructor your flight skills, the bare requirement being 3 hours of dual within 60 days prior to taking the practical test. I'd guess 4-5 hours total minimum, even if you were fully trained and ready for an EASA test. As an instructor, when I sign off a student as ready for the final practical test, I'm essentially certifying that I know they have the training and skills required. This can't be done by simply accepting a student's training record and logbook at face value. Certainly, an accomplished, well-trained student wouldn't take very much time to immediately demonstrate the required level of competency. A final point, you may already know, under FAA rules, a student may solo at age 16, but cannot obtain the PPL until 17 years of age.
Hope this helps, good luck.

flapsupboy
19th May 2023, 14:03
in the eu, you can solo under instructor supervision. you have to be 17 to take the skill test.