PDA

View Full Version : US debt ceiling and ATC/TSA, CBP?

BRE
19th May 2023, 07:23
I have a business trip to the US coming up for mid June. I vaguely remember there were disruptions of ATC and security in the past but couldn't find anything on the net. Did that happen / is it likely to happen again?

What about CBP and land crossings? I have the chance to route all transatlantic flying to Canada and enter by car. Is that a safer bet?

Thanks

PS: found this, doesn't sound too scary
https://thepointsguy.com/news/debt-ceiling-travel-impact/

I remember travelling during another debt crisis more like 20 years ago and it was hardly noticable

Asturias56
19th May 2023, 07:58
if the debt ceiling issue kicks in you'll have a lot more worries than getting into the USA - could look a Truss/Kwarteng moment for the US economy

davidjohnson6
19th May 2023, 09:10
Both Republicans and Democrats know full well what will happen if "full faith and credit" of the US Government ceases to have substantial reliability.

I'm expecting small US airports that don't have international service might lose ATC or see degraded service... but it seems unlikely that JFK will shut down

PAXboy
19th May 2023, 10:13
There will be a day when they default but not this year. Both political parties are hooked on printing money. Not unlike the UK...