PDA

View Full Version : Price of water

davidjohnson6
14th May 2023, 09:48
At many airports, a bottle of water post-security is expensive - maybe £2 or more. Yes, there may be a way by carrying an empty bottle to go to a water fountain in an area with low footfall to get a free refill... but the cheap alternative is usually obscured and not signed at all well.

At some airports in Spain and Portugal, there are vending machines selling a cheap brand of water - half a litre (or almost a pint) for 1 euro... they are sited immediately after security screening so highly visible.

I'm aware that airports are moving towards security screening processes which allow liquids to be carried, so the monopoly hold on drinking water is being weakened. Have airports more widely tried a regime of selling non-posh brands at cheap prices to recover profits in volume instead of fewer sales at higher prices ?

SWBKCB
14th May 2023, 11:20
Are vending machines the airports responsibility or are they contracted out?

Kiltrash
14th May 2023, 15:47
Allbeit pre covid we found generally water fountains to refill you own empty post security container. And take your own snacks within reason.
so in our case the shops priced themselves out if our passing trade.

ShyTorque
14th May 2023, 16:03
I recently called in at a U.K. motorway services for a bottle of water and found that it was more expensive than the equivalent volume of milk! That’s illogical, a travesty and a huge insult to dairy farmers.

I bought some semi skimmed milk and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Asturias56
15th May 2023, 08:38
I can remember a time in Indonesia when the Russians had bartered a load of Vodka for some crop. Some stores were selling a litre of Stoly for less than a bottle of (safe) water....

It led to a certain unfortunate life style for some of the expat community...............

25F
16th May 2023, 00:52
Well at least at Stansted there are water fountains after security, which are *designed* to fill bottles. Seems there's two locations now, pretty sure only one beforehand (and none before that). They are signposted. I take two or three 100ml bottles of squash to then add to the water - not a great fan of water on its own. Another way round the liquids ban is to take some satsumas - they will help you stay hydrated but somehow don't count as liquids.

ATNotts
16th May 2023, 08:03
Well at least at Stansted there are water fountains after security, which are *designed* to fill bottles. Seems there's two locations now, pretty sure only one beforehand (and none before that). They are signposted. I take two or three 100ml bottles of squash to then add to the water - not a great fan of water on its own. Another way round the liquids ban is to take some satsumas - they will help you stay hydrated but somehow don't count as liquids.

Bottled water is one of the biggest cons in the modern day world. Wind the clock back 100 years and with the purity standards of tap water bottled water would have been useful, nay one could suggest essential. Today when all over the first world tap water is safe and drinkable I see no reason to buy the bottled stuff, other that is to drink then retain the empty vessel for filling with tap water. Nevertheless retailers sell tonnes of the stuff at exorbitant price, not least at airports.

meleagertoo
16th May 2023, 14:41
All food and drink outlets (obv not just shops) in UK airports are, I believe, legally required to provide you with free tap water on request.
I have never had a problem getting bottles filled anywhre else either.
Bottled water is the greatest marketing ripoff con-trick in history imho.

PAXboy
16th May 2023, 17:33
If memory serves, my last couple of trips through LHR T5, I have seen water fountains signposted and in plain view.

tdracer
16th May 2023, 18:26
All food and drink outlets (obv not just shops) in UK airports are, I believe, legally required to provide you with free tap water on request.
I have never had a problem getting bottles filled anywhre else either.
While there are places where bottled water is almost mandatory due to contamination/health concerns, I agree for most countries.
Ironically, the only place in the US where I routinely drink bottled water is Breckenridge. Breckenridge touts itself as being very responsible and environmentally friendly - but the tap water tastes absolutely horrid. Very strong chlorine/chemical smells and tastes (it's ok for coffee/tea where you heat it - apparently the heating drives off enough of the dissolved chemicals to render the taste palatable), but for routine drinking it's 'last resort'. As a result - in this haven of environmentalism - all the markets sell massive quantities of bottled water and the trash cans contain large numbers of water empty bottled water containers.

DaveReidUK
16th May 2023, 21:13
If memory serves, my last couple of trips through LHR T5, I have seen water fountains signposted and in plain view.

Heathrow's terminal maps at maps.heathrow.com proudly include "water bottle refill stations" on the legend, but the maps don't appear to show where they actually are (though on practice they are fairly easy to find).

25F
19th May 2023, 00:28
There's one that's worth trying - at least once. Vichy Catalan.
Otherwise in total agreement.

ATNotts
19th May 2023, 10:14
There's one that's worth trying - at least once. Vichy Catalan.
Otherwise in total agreement.
The ones flavoured with fermented hops and barley aren't bad:ok:

rugmuncher
19th May 2023, 12:24
I recently called in at a U.K. motorway services for a bottle of water and found that it was more expensive than the equivalent volume of milk! That’s illogical, a travesty and a huge insult to dairy farmers.

I bought some semi skimmed milk and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Just don't use it to replace the water in your washer bottle !!

Ancient Observer
23rd May 2023, 16:55
Much of the beer at UK airports tastes like water.