PDA

View Full Version : Cookies

tubby linton
8th May 2023, 18:43
Why when the screen about cookies appear do I have to individually object to legitimate interests? Surely there can be a button which objects to all or this is a deliberate attempt by the board to subvert my individual choice by making it more difficult to object? Pretty poor show if it is the latter.

Jhieminga
12th May 2023, 10:51
Nobody will confirm that things like this are a deliberate attempt... but I think that the pretty poor show descriptor covers this case. The company that runs PPRuNe needs advertising income and cookies and tracking profiles is a part of this.

I would argue that it should be pretty clear when a legitimate interest applies. The fact that it is optional (we can switch this option off) implies that there is no clear interest and it should never have been considered, but that's my view.
I found an add-in for Firefox called 'Super Agent' which automatically sets cookie preferences for you on many websites. You're still left with several on which it can't decipher the dialog and there is of course another risk in that this add-on tracks stuff... but I'm choosing the convenience over someone profiting from my very dull browsing behaviour.