PDA

View Full Version : EU family and thinking of coming over

Mr_Pilot
5th May 2023, 11:24
Hi there -

Didnt know where to post as there does not seem to be an EU forum but hoping someone could help me. Background situation and me below.

Situation: Wife EU citizen - with kids, good job, wants to move to EU and has remote working ability (computer home based - company EU and flexible with this).

Me: Dumb pilot with ATPL and some jet time on both product A and B - but wanting to move over and do my 14 exams for an EASA ticket.

Question: Being a non-EU national but married to one, can I work from anywhere - assuming they live with me, or can I commute etc. Looking at the immigration status and requirements it seems most carriers even the ACMI ones want an EU passport for ease of transit, but maybe someone knows the answer to all this?

Anyone friends with someone who has been stupid enough to attempt this... would prefer to keep the marriage and kids together! Would love any and all opinions.

Many thanks for reading.

zerograv
7th May 2023, 15:16
Hello,

Not able to help you with the part of your question about being able to work anywhere.
My guess would be that you can work in the country of citizenship of the person you are married with, without much of a trouble. About the other countries of the EU, I really don't know. The passport might be required, but as already mentioned, I just don't know.

There is one other detail to be considered. In the EU there are many local languages. If you are thinking of Ryan, or Easyjet, or Wizz, or something similar, probably you'll get away with just English. As for any of the local Flag carriers in the EU, or an airline that is not transnational like the lowcosts mentioned earlier, probably without exception you will need to speak the local language fluently. Something to have in mind in your planning.

Sometimes possibilities do come along in which just English will do, but the market has to be in an extremely good condition for that to happen.

zondaracer
30th May 2023, 10:02
You can live and work in any EU country where your EU spouse is living. The catch is that the majority of airlines are now asking for an unrestricted European passport as condition of employment. You may find an airline or two that did not require this, but it will limit your options.