PDA

View Full Version : Crew pay scales

Jet II
30th Aug 2002, 17:16
From reading postings on other forums it seems that the highest paid flight crew are generally on the long haul routes - I got to wondering exactly why?

As I seem to recall, the most dangerous sectors of a flight are the landing and take-off - As short-haul crews do many more of these and consequently are working harder and exposed to more danger during their work day surely they should be paid the most money.

I have also noted during my times on the flight deck that the smaller a/c are much more 'lively' and need to be flown with more care (777 feels like going down in lift , it is so smooth – compared to the ATR’s and RJ’s) during the landings - so another reason why s/h crews should be paid more?.

I did think that maybe it was because the l/h crew were responsible for more PAX, but if you compare say a 777 with 300 on a trip to LGW from IAH and an A320 crew doing 3 sectors in Europe, they both are responsible for the same amount of PAX at the end of the day. Also at the end of the day the s/h crew will have to battle with the M25 to get home and do it all over again tomorrow whilst the l/h crew sit around the pool in 5 star hotel for a couple of days.

The only reason that I could come up with for the l/h crew to paid more was that they were probably the most senior and had first choice of the l/h routes and so wanted the easier life - take off, wind the seat back and get some sleep while the younger, lower seniority crews work that much harder on the s/h routes dreaming of the day when its their 'turn' on l/h.

Is this a 'fair' representation of the industry?

Before some of the more belligerent members of PPRUNE get their knickers in a twist - this is not an attack on flight crew pay. Just some musings on how it is distributed.

:)

crj-jockey
31st Aug 2002, 00:16
One major mistake of a l/h-crew is likely more expensive than that of a RJ-crew.
Payment does not allways reflect the workload applicable.
However, there are already certain airlines making no differences in payment between wide-body and smaller aircraft-fleet.

skyvan
31st Aug 2002, 12:11
Please don't forget that a fair amount of pay relates to lifestyle.

The l-h crew are away from home (and the wife and kids) for up to 16nights a month.

The s-h guys are home most nights.

So who should get paid more...those who have to wake up next to the same old bird most mornings,....or those who miss out on their children's childhood?

shenzi_rubani_HTAR
1st Sep 2002, 15:33
Not entirely true. We are away from home 15- 17 nights a month, average haul is a .8!
I would think the reason the l/h guys are getting paid more for the boredom is that they are generally the more senior drivers in the company on the bigger planes. Seniority, and in this case, size does matter!
The sad part of it all are the regional guys making less than a McD's manager but are still responsible for the lives of 33 people.
(Then again, the McD's guys have the potential to give food poisoning to millions and millions served.)