PDA

View Full Version : QF-905 trim issue - or?

RE Koyich
29th Apr 2023, 00:00
On the plane, waiting to taxi, departing Sunny Coast for Sydney, hopefully - but the aircraft doesn’t pass trim check - always better to have trim issues on the ground than in the air, of course.

Maintenance has to drive from Brisbane.

So now a near five hour delay until departure on QF-1741, sitting in terminal ruminating.

Any rumors of QF cancelling one flight and combining with another? It’s convenient that the next flight has enough room for all the 905 pax.

Australian domestic flying wasn’t this hard not so long ago. Oh, except two weeks ago when Jetstar cancelled with an SMS the night before. Airlines still have not sorted that one out.

Who’d run an airline?

Back to waiting, and reading PPRUNE!

itsnotthatbloodyhard
29th Apr 2023, 00:20
On the plane, waiting to taxi, departing Sunny Coast for Sydney, hopefully - but the aircraft doesn’t pass trim check - always better to have trim issues on the ground than in the air, of course.
….
​​​​​​….

Any rumors of QF cancelling one flight and combining with another? It’s convenient that the next flight has enough room for all the 905 pax.

I suppose it’s conceivable that an airline might want to cut costs by amalgamating two flights with low loads (if that’s what you’re suggesting). Somewhat less conceivable that they’d go to the trouble of crewing and loading an aircraft, starting it up, and then have the captain lie about a non-existent problem when they had no intention of ever flying it in the first place…..

Maggie Island
29th Apr 2023, 00:32
Any rumors of QF cancelling one flight and combining with another? It’s convenient that the next flight has enough room for all the 905 pax

These C17 humanitarian evacuations are really pushing the envelope! Should consider yourself lucky you escaped in one piece

Oriana
29th Apr 2023, 01:40
Maybe if passengers had the same rights as passengers in The EU, Australian airlines would have to up their game.

EU air passenger rights (https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm)

aussieflyboy
29th Apr 2023, 03:16
Fly Bonza next time.

Ken Borough
29th Apr 2023, 03:42

Cancelling one flight creates all kinds of other issues with crew and aircraft out of position. It’s not as simple as it sounds!

10JQKA
29th Apr 2023, 03:52
Fly Bonza next time.
How much is WLM to SY in UBER ?

34R
29th Apr 2023, 04:24
Quality thread this one….

AerocatS2A
29th Apr 2023, 08:28
Maintenance required for a trim issue? Seems odd.

Afterburner1
29th Apr 2023, 09:54
Why is that odd? Do you know how to fix an electric trim fail on a 737? I’ve been flying them for years and wouldn’t have a clue how to fix it, can you please enlighten us all on how you would fix it? I’d be calling the engineers as well if it was me…

Jet was still on the ground at 4pm after engineers had been looking at it… obviously this was all part of qantas’ plan to combine flights though 🙄

donpizmeov
29th Apr 2023, 11:51
Why is that odd? Do you know how to fix an electric trim fail on a 737? I’ve been flying them for years and wouldn’t have a clue how to fix it, can you please enlighten us all on how you would fix it? I’d be calling the engineers as well if it was me…

Jet was still on the ground at 4pm after engineers had been looking at it… obviously this was all part of qantas’ plan to combine flights though 🙄
I think the OPs frustration is that he/she has no alternative travel options to those offered by Ozzie domestic market.
Many feel his/her pain.

Hopefully you learn something about your ride soon. The QF ones are many decades in age, so I would hope someone knows how they tick.

AerocatS2A
29th Apr 2023, 22:34

Because I mistakenly read it as a load trim issue not a mechanical trim issue.

deja vu
3rd May 2023, 01:37
Fly Bonza next time.
While you still can.

jookisa
14th May 2023, 09:57
Oh, that sounds frustrating! It's always better to have maintenance issues detected on the ground, though. I hope they get it sorted soon so you can take off. As for rumors of QF cancelling and combining flights, I haven't heard anything. It's good to know that there's enough room on the next flight for everyone, though. Domestic flying can be unpredictable sometimes, but hopefully the airlines will sort out these issues soon. Hang in there and enjoy your reading material!

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
15th May 2023, 03:27
Cancelling one flight creates all kinds of other issues with crew and aircraft out of position. It’s not as simple as it sounds!
Except when the offloaded passengers watch through the terminal windows as the aircraft pushes back and departs to somewhere with crew only to make sure it gets back in position.

PoppaJo
15th May 2023, 04:16
That happened to me in Sydney once. We had about 20 minutes before curfew with permission after that denied. So we called ops who said forget the passengers just get back to home base we can’t cancel the flight tomorrow morning back at home base as no seats for days to re accomodate.

The only issue with T2 Sydney is the windows/passenger lounge sit right in front of the cockpit. So when we pushed back was a bit of jumping up and down in front of us.

Rule number 1 is never take a last flight from Mascot!

Icarus2001
15th May 2023, 04:32
Isn’t safety number one? That almost sounds like the cost of the fine was number one. Or the disrupt cost next day.

PoppaJo
15th May 2023, 06:48
We only had a few aircraft at the time, safety wasn’t really an issue for such a specific example, we had management tossing up either stay the night or ditch the punters and return empty. We left before curfew and went back empty.

Needless to say that airline is no longer in business. Regulator was watching the carrier very closely at the time, breaching curfews wasn’t an option. No guesses to who I refer to.

Gne
15th May 2023, 06:50
Isn’t safety number one? That almost sounds like the cost of the fine was number one. Or the disrupt cost next day.
How dare you even think along those lines. We're talking about the national flag carrier, doyen of safe operations for decades (or in these days and thinking about senior management should that be doyenne).

Go to the bathroom and wash your typing fingers with carbolic soap..

Gne

PoppaJo
15th May 2023, 07:37
Safety is very loosely used these days. You only need to look at safety reports from the ATSB with airlines starting to the media when asked about issues, ‘safety underpins our operations at all times’…..meanwhile airliner ended up in the ditch, someone left the packs off, someone nearly flew into the ground, somebody nearly hit some other poor body…..safety was never compromised though.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
16th May 2023, 02:10
Thread Drift......Lookout......

IF 'Safety was never compromised' in (For example) TIBA airspace, then........

Why not have it allll the time, eveeerywhere, and save more $'s..??

Ballina ..??

Cheeerrrsss....

Angle of Attack
16th May 2023, 09:15
Safety will never be compromised until 180 people turn into 1.5 tonnes of mince…then they will change the wording, you can’t make this **** up..Idiots…

Capt Fathom
16th May 2023, 11:53
So back to the original post, there was a mechanical issue at Maroochydore, which was fixed by the engineers who travelled up from Brisbane, and the aircraft departed, albeit several hours late.

So why is this thread still going?

PoppaJo
16th May 2023, 12:05
Safety will never be compromised until 180 people turn into 1.5 tonnes of mince…then they will change the wording, you can’t make this **** up..Idiots…
Tiger takes the prize for nearly achieving that. The regulator issues them a show cause notice. Executives come out claiming safety isn’t being compromised, underpins everything we do, CASA is basically lying, we will take them to court over such allegations. Aircraft are flying with defects. Incidents being covered up. Engineering fixes not completed properly. Multiple airspace breaches. The aileron incident. Everything is so safe though. Hmmmm. How the heck is an oscillating aileron that isn’t fixed and repeatedly ignored not compromising safety!

Just wheel out the the ol’…. ‘At no time was safety compromised or was safety at risk ‘……errrr until CASA start digging into the books.