PDA

View Full Version : allopurinol - EASA class 1

pilot2021
23rd Apr 2023, 18:41
Hello,

I hold EASA class 1 medical (without restrictions) and recently I did blood test and found out my Uric Acid is high (10) I do NOT have gout only high Uric acid. My Dr (not my AME) told me I need to start use Allopurinol to lower my Uric Acid.

The only thing I found on the EASA MED regulation is this
"Applicants with acute gout should be assessed as unfit. A fit assessment may be considered once asymptomatic, after cessation of treatment or the condition is stabilised on anti- hyperuricaemic therapy."

Does anyone know if usage of Allopurinol in order to lower Uric Acid is an acceptable treatment in EASA? Is this going to disqualified my medical class 1?

Thanks

EGGW
23rd Apr 2023, 22:43
Am on Allupurinol, since last December. Had Uric acid kidney stones, all clear and EASA/UK Class 1. No restrictions.
EGGW.

pilot2021
24th Apr 2023, 06:28
Am on Allupurinol, since last December. Had Uric acid kidney stones, all clear and EASA/UK Class 1. No restrictions.
EGGW.

Thanks! You had to tell your AME about it? Did he ask you for a letter and documents from your Family doctor?

Thanks for your help

BraceBrace
24th Apr 2023, 11:26
Hello,

I hold EASA class 1 medical (without restrictions) and recently I did blood test and found out my Uric Acid is high (10) I do NOT have gout only high Uric acid. My Dr (not my AME) told me I need to start use Allopurinol to lower my Uric Acid.

The only thing I found on the EASA MED regulation is this
"Applicants with acute gout should be assessed as unfit. A fit assessment may be considered once asymptomatic, after cessation of treatment or the condition is stabilised on anti- hyperuricaemic therapy."

Does anyone know if usage of Allopurinol in order to lower Uric Acid is an acceptable treatment in EASA? Is this going to disqualified my medical class 1?

No effect at all for your class 1.

Strange conclusion from your doctor though, as gout is the experienced infection, not the blood problem. The medical world seems to hold "3 attacks per year" as the limit to start some kind of treatment. This "treatment" usually starts through adapted diets (restrictions like less coffee, meat, alcohol... the cause is usually unknown so it becomes trial and error), and not medicine.

pilot2021
24th Apr 2023, 21:13
Thanks!

my Uric Acid is abnormal for quite a long time. I tried to change food, I lost 30kg (uric was high even before I lost weight) so the Dr recommend to take medication to shoot stones and gout in the future.

I would like to ask you, before you started taking medication did you talk to your AME? or you advice him during the medical itself?

EGGW
25th Apr 2023, 11:22
If you have a medical condition, that requires treatment, yes of course advise your AME. I got Uric acid stones as well, treated/restrictions removed. Don't get them in the first place, I luckily never had any symptoms. Others I know who have had kidney stones, that moved, well you don't want to go there.

EGGW.

pilot2021
27th Apr 2023, 15:20
Do you think EASA AME will grounded me on point because of that? Not gonna lie I’m afraid this will lead him to grounded me. That’s why I’m afraid to start with medication

EGGW
2nd May 2023, 16:48
Maybe grounded temporarily, thats EASA rules for you, but your health should come first? Its not a biggie.

EGGW

Loose rivets
8th Jul 2023, 11:10
I've taken it for a large chunk of my life. The number of times you have gout? ONCE in a whole lifetime. That's enough.

The acute stage was treated with IIRC Feldene or something like that.

A Prince Philip of Spain was carried out into the countryside to die. Now, that's bad gout. I'd guess he had nice helpings of wine,shrimp etc., to ease him through the last days.

I had a gallstone the size of a small chicken's egg. I don't know if it's related.

pilot2021
8th Jul 2023, 11:12
I've taken it for a large chunk of my life. The number of times you have gout? ONCE in a whole lifetime. That's enough.

The acute stage was treated with IIRC Feldene or something like that.

A Prince Philip of Spain was carried out into the countryside to die. Now, that's bad gout. I'd guess he had nice helpings of wine,shrimp etc., to ease him through the last days.

I had a gallstone the size of a small chicken's egg. I don't know if it's related.

in my case I never had any gout attack. Only high Uric acid without symptoms

Loose rivets
8th Jul 2023, 11:21
I was offered a lift in an engineer's van since my aircraft was 100 yards or so from the office door. I declined, with thanks. I got half way before waving for help.

I was dead heading back to base so could take a couple of Ibuprofen type pills. It took the edge off.

The funny thing was my call to the company doctor. He kept saying I'd injured my foot, and I kept protesting that I couldn't have done. "I run miles a day. I'm Judo fanatic. I can't have hurt myself this badly without knowing!" And then I made some comment about being like an old man with gout. There was the loooooooooooongest silence on the phone, as the bloke knew I'd hit the nail on the head.

pilot2021
8th Jul 2023, 11:25
I was offered a lift in an engineer's van since my aircraft was 100 yards or so from the office door. I declined, with thanks. I got half way before waving for help.

I was dead heading back to base so could take a couple of Ibuprofen type pills. It took the edge off.

The funny thing was my call to the company doctor. He kept saying I'd injured my foot, and I kept protesting that I couldn't have done. "I run miles a day. I'm Judo fanatic. I can't have hurt myself this badly without knowing!" And then I made some comment about being like an old man with gout. There was the loooooooooooongest silence on the phone, as the bloke knew I'd hit the nail on the head.

what? 🤔