PDA

View Full Version : Flight deck grime

Boeingdriver999
22nd Apr 2023, 11:08
Hi all,

Pilot here looking for some advice from the experts. What would one use for cleaning the panels in the flight deck of an Airbus/Boeing that has had years of smoking grime build up? Sterile wipes and water wipes don’t seem to do the trick and my outfit don’t care to clean the flight deck.

Thanks

HOVIS
22nd Apr 2023, 11:30
It's a maintenance task. The AMM has all the references and approved materials that can be used.

Boeingdriver999
22nd Apr 2023, 11:40
Yup. I figured as much. Like I said. Our outfit isn’t bothered about it despite verbal requests and tech log entries. Just a wipe with a damp cloth.

So help a brother out please. :cool:

HOVIS
22nd Apr 2023, 11:47
I can't. If you use the incorrect solvents or damage the screens/switches etc that's a bigger problem.
Write it up and raise a voyage report or flag it up to your quality department. If maintenance are just penning bit off without following the AMM they are breaking the law.

Boeingdriver999
23rd Apr 2023, 00:21
Thanks for making the effort to not read what I wrote twice. That takes some kind of effort.

spannersatcx
23rd Apr 2023, 09:53
I agree with Hovis, there are approved cleaning materials and processes all detailed in the AMM, if they are not being followed then you could raise an ASR/MOR that would be the only way to escalate this issue.

HOVIS
23rd Apr 2023, 11:44
Thanks for making the effort to not read what I wrote twice. That takes some kind of effort.
Ditto. Maybe stick to flying your aeroplane and please leave the upkeep and maintenance of your aircraft to the professionals. I don't attempt to fly the aeroplanes I maintain, with good reason.
If your maintenance teams are not behaving in a professional manner then flag it up through the proper channels, don't come on a bulletin board and start insulting those have tried to point you in the right direction. Jesus!

Boeingdriver999
23rd Apr 2023, 12:49
I wish I lived and operated in the perfect world that you inhabit. But I don’t. I live in a world where people are imperfect, rules are bent or broken and some people are lazy and don’t care.

In my world no one gives a **** about grime on a panel where I spend 10+ hours a day. And if I filed an ASR/MOR it would be laughed at.

So again; without it being an insult; thanks for your responses.

V_2
23rd Apr 2023, 16:03
I live in a world where people are imperfect, rules are bent or broken and some people are lazy and don’t care.
In my world no one gives a **** about grime on a panel where I spend 10+ hours a day. And if I filed an ASR/MOR it would be laughed at..

says the Boeing pilot with a given location of Seattle…

Boeingdriver999
23rd Apr 2023, 16:05
Do you think I fly Boeings and am based in Seattle? Or is it a username?

stevef
23rd Apr 2023, 17:44
Civil response to a civil request:
Alglas Visial Visual Display Cleaner. FAA, Airbus and Boeing approvals. List of American Alglas suppliers is on their website.

Boeingdriver999
23rd Apr 2023, 19:12
Super thanks. I love that stuff. Nothing is better. But I’m trying to remove grime from the fascia plastic. Not the LCDs. Built up cigarette smoke grime on the over head panel that makes it very dull.

stevef
24th Apr 2023, 16:21
This product might do the trick:
Aero Cosmetics Interior Cleaner - 16 oz
Code : 6325
Interior Cleaner cleans and removes beverage spills/stains from aircraft carpets, seats, tray tables, side panels, cockpits, and galleys. It is easy to use, simply spray on, scrub, and wipe/vacuum off.

Perfect for lifting any dirt or grime out of your aircraft’s interior. This will make it very easy to have your cockpit looking like new again
The formula is alcohol and ammonia-free for safe use inside the cockpit. Made in the USA. mypilotstore.com item #11093 Part Number 727P
Approvals:
Boeing D6-7127M

AIMS 09-00-002

Boeingdriver999
25th Apr 2023, 17:40
Thanks again, will have a Google. :ok:

NoTraps
27th Apr 2023, 17:13
Good old tried and tested Isopropyl alcohol, try watered down 50/50 first