PDA

View Full Version : ATPL and IR Training Costs

STurns
13th Mar 2001, 19:23
Like most people i'm trying to minimise my training costs. You can get 12 hours credit against your IR course if I complete the training before the end of the transition period - 30th June 2002. At 12 x 250GBP/hour this is well worth having.

However - i'm confused about whether you have to finish the theory side (i'm doing ATPL Theory distance learning) before you can start training depending upon whether you read the ATPL or IR regs.

According to FCL they say you can (spoke to them today), but as I don't have it in writing i'm still not 100% sure. I did however find this paragraph in an SRG general information document dated 22nd Feb 2001 (No. 15 Issue 1)

--------------------------------------
VALIDITIES
The Flight Test and Ground Examination required for the inclusion of an IR in a Pilot’s Licence (A) must be
completed (and application for rating submitted) within the time period shown below:
Ground Examinations 36 months (from date of the final pass)
Flight Test 12 months
-------------------------------------
Full link is (pdf document) - http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/documents/gid15.pdf

Now this to me means that I can start my IR training whilst doing my ATPL theory (i'm a sucker for punishment) and as long as I complete them both before June 30th next year i'm ahead of the game. I then have a UK PPL/IR which I can then convert to CPL/IR once i've passed the CPL test.

Do you think i'm pushing it a bit much to be doing both the ATPL Theory and IR training at the same time?

Regards,

Dean

RVR800
13th Mar 2001, 19:44
DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT !!
Doing the exams and the IR simultaneously

Most Schools won't take you until you have
the theory sorted

It just is not possible
You will spend thousands and achieve
nothing - do the exams first

[This message has been edited by RVR800 (edited 13 March 2001).]