PDA

View Full Version : Avgas - avoiding sudan

fabiopilot
18th Apr 2023, 18:42
Hello Fellows:

I´m schedule to ferry a SR22 from South Africa to Europe and my route was counting on a tech stop for avgas in Karthoum. With the recent civil militar urest that is happening there this is no longer possible. Can any one suggest a alternate route from Nairobi to Europe that avoids Sudan and has avgas ? My max range is 850 nm.

Krapula
19th Apr 2023, 05:12
Nairobi-Addis-Asmara-Marsa Alam depending on avgas availability maybe?

meleagertoo
19th Apr 2023, 08:46
Nairobi-Addis-Asmara-Marsa Alam depending on avgas availability maybe?
Is Sudan as a (w)hole in turmoil? Port Sudan used to have avgas if the trouble remains local.
Asab used to have it too iirc which distance wise is equal to Asmara. I expect Djibouti is another possibility.

RichardJones
20th Apr 2023, 18:10
I did hear there was trouble in Port Sudan. Insurance implications if it's declared a war zone.
Could try Djibouti, Jedda, luxor. Stay well away from the dam.
what about a ferry tank installation?
My 2p worth

fabiopilot
20th Apr 2023, 18:54
The challenge is finding avgas. Avgas in Adis Ababa is not a sure thing yet. North of Adis Adibaba the only other place with avgas is Hurghada. We are considering installing a ferry tank. But if we do that, we might even consider a South Atlantic crossing via Dakar. The final destination of the plane is Brazil. That would shorten the time enroute by half.

hamil
21st Apr 2023, 10:29
The final destination of the plane is Brazil. That would shorten the time enroute by half.

Sorry, just a question .... if the final destination is Brazil, why are you planning your operation flying east of Africa instead of the western side, an area with more fuel stops available at sea level?

Fly safe.

fabiopilot
21st Apr 2023, 11:43
We initially choose the route thru central east Africa because that was the only that could be done without ferry tanks. Adding a ferry tank would make it harder to have the plane insured. After that SR22 that ditched on the way from the US to Australia, ferry tanks are not so easily accepted by insurers anymore.

Guzzler
30th Apr 2023, 15:51
I am planning a similar flight - although it is only 50/50 at the moment.

Fabiopilot would you be kind enough to keep us updated?

fabiopilot
15th May 2023, 18:59
So just to update on my progress. I am having installed a ferry tank wich will solve the avgas fuel problem and not being able to stop in Sudan for refuel.

I plan on departing from Kenya and reaching HEGN in Egypt in one leg. The question now, and that no handler so far has been able to answer me is if Ethiopia allows flights thru its north western Tigray region (border with Eritrea). The chart on Foreflight show it as a prohibted area to FL290 but I´m not sure this is enforced by Ethiopian ATC. Does any one have any information if flying thru this area is possible ?

If it´s possible, I plan to leave HKLK (Loki, Kenya) to HEG thru Ethiopia western part and reach the red sea in Eritrea. If the prohibted area is enforced then, the ideal departure point out of Kenya, would be Wajir and then thru Ethiopian Easter part.

Any comments / suggestions ?

RichardJones
16th May 2023, 08:17
Good to hear you are about to be up and running.
just be careful around border areas of some of these countries. Might be worth contacting the appropriate ATC unit, before serving off to get it from the horses mouth, with regards to possible restrictions, closure of airspace etc.
Will you be equipped with HF radio? If so give ATC a call anytime before you go.
Do not, repeat do not fly anywhere near Dams. They are a very strategic target/asset. Consequently they may shoot you down if you arrive unannounced. They shoot first before questioning.
Remember, the military are not always communicationing with ATC and Visa versa. Always pre call the onward ATC if possible.
I am talking from experience at this in Africe, albeit it 40 years ago. Can't see a lot has changed.
Good luck. I wish I was young again!!

DBT123
2nd Aug 2023, 13:27
Hi! complete newbie to this forum, we are doing a very similar flight from S.A to England! the whole route is a milk run, Apart from Kenya to Egypt! Thanks Sudan for having internal issues! Fabiopilot, how did your trip go? we are flying a PA28 Arrow and don't have the legs or ferry tank option but currently going balder by the day pulling my hair out trying to find a solution.
:bored: