PDA

View Full Version : FAA Airbus sim, skill test and oral exam

flyer13
18th Apr 2023, 04:28
Hello team!
I am going to Miami to convert my icao license into faa with accelerated A330 rating. Was wandering if you could help me out, specially for the sim part and oral exam. I haven't flown for few years now and not sure what to expect, specially the first 2 sims and skill test, including the oral.
I thought of basic things like EFATO, Windshear, TCAS.. Oral exam about memory items limitations but vague about systems..
Any information would be very helpful.
Thanks a lot!

Sunrig
18th Apr 2023, 15:48
I have no idea about the 330 but I did the same for the 737 in 2017. For the Sim part just prepare for a normal LPC check ride as you’re used to. The Oral is usually as you mentioned Limitations, Memory items and systems. Most of the time they start by going through the overhead panel and ask you about every switch…
Maybe someone else can chime in with more accurate/ up to date info.
Good luck!

ACJDriver
19th Apr 2023, 08:49
Where are you doing the A330 short course?

bafanguy
19th Apr 2023, 21:08
flyer13,

What country issued your license containing the A330 rating ?

flyer13
20th Apr 2023, 02:29
Thanks Sunrig!
I'm doing it in Miami. My previous experience was in the Philippines.
Is the oral based mostly on overhead panel (lights and switches..)?
Thx!

Sunrig
21st Apr 2023, 03:03
Thanks Sunrig!
I'm doing it in Miami. My previous experience was in the Philippines.
Is the oral based mostly on overhead panel (lights and switches..)?
Thx!

Yes, from my experience it’s mainly lights and switches. When I did my Airbus type though, I was asked about the laws and protections
as well. But if you can cover most lights and switches you should be fine.

ZebraFlyer
12th May 2023, 14:34
I did it 7-8 ish months ago in an A320 also in Miami.

Oral: manual takeoff and landing performance calculation, lights and switches (far more in depth than I previously knew), memory items, limitations, control laws, what to look for and what is wrong on a walk around video/powerpoint slides.

Check: TCAS, stalls, steep turns, intercept radials/holds etc, circling approach, flapless landing, EFATO, RTO, fire of some sort, evacuate. Various 2D and 3D approaches in there and couple of go arounds too.

Feel free to DM if want the full rundown. Good luck!

ahwalk01
12th May 2023, 16:15
Would strongly suggest you review your original ATP ride and bring your ops specs with you.

https://tomgorski.com/asr/atptsmat.htm check the latest version of the ATP. Do you need ATP CTP for instance.

Alex.

MarkerInbound
15th May 2023, 02:19
The FAA switched from the Practical Test Standards to Airman Certification Standards 4 years ago. Best to go straight to the source -

https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/acs/media/atp_acs.pdf