PDA

View Full Version : Making the ATPL Distance learning work with my schedule

jason_beall
30th Aug 2002, 12:52
Hi all,

I'm still a few months away from starting my distance learning for the ATPL Theory. Thanks to all for you for your previous posts on who you are using for the course notes, brush-ups, etc. Some great info out there on PPRN.

I'm still struggling with trying to figure out how to fit it all in. I live in Aberdeen and and only have four weeks of vacation time a year. I'm not exactly in a hurry to finish as the market is just picking up (or so it seems) and I am still working my way toward UK citizenship.

I guess my question is have any of you out there, with full time jobs and family, figured out the best way to make it work? One idea I had was begining next January with the intent to take two weeks of holiday for the brush up maybe in July-August, and then 6-8 months for the second half with the intent to take two weeks the following year to finish up. That way I don't use up all my vacation time in one year.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

-Jason

Mintflavour
30th Aug 2002, 14:19
I have just recieved my stuff from Bristol for module 1 today,
With 20 days hols a year myself I am trying to do the same mod 1 and mod 2 in different work years, How ever my new work year starts on the 1st jan so I will be lucky to manage to do it without working my ass off. I will try though. i was delayed due to financial reasons.

You also need to consider the days off required to complete the exams. 4 days if you go with bristol, and 2 i believe for oxford.

Fortunately I only have a house to look after, and a girl friend to try and not let feel to neglected.

good luck

mint

Field In Sight
30th Aug 2002, 14:24
Depending on what you do/where you work, you probably will be able to take unpaid holidays.

Unfortunately they pay considerably less than the paid ones.:(

Hufty
30th Aug 2002, 14:26
Seems sensible - that is what I did and it worked out OK. Remember not to rush your studies - if you go into the brush up having covered it all, you will be able to spend your time 'hardwiring' the information and doing the feedback questions, rather that trying to learn new things like some people do.

Don't forget too that you may need time off for flying (and don't forget time for a REAL holiday - I have used all my spare time for studying and flying over the last 12 months and I'm shattered!).

Some kind of unpaid leave from work might be the answer??

Good luck....

FlyingForFun
30th Aug 2002, 14:37
That's exactly what I'm doing. I'm half way through, having just taken the first set of exams, and received, but not started studying, the notes for Module 2.

The timescales are reasonable - I did Module 1 in a little over 6 months, and I plan on taking the Module 2 exams in around March or April.

You will need to take 14 days of holiday for each module - 10 days of brush-up, and 4 days of exam. That's with Bristol - some other schools arrange things so that you only need to take 2 days for the exams. Personally, I think doing intensive exams for 2 days would be pretty tough, but if holiday's tight it might be the only sensible option.

You could also look at London Guildhall - their course only has 1 week of brush-up per module, and they split it so that the exams for each module are done in 2 days. So you only need 7 days off per module. Having just done the Bristol brush-up, though, I really struggle to see how it could be possible to do enough work in 1 week to get you through the exams. But their instructors obviously think it's possible!

Good luck!

FFF
---------------

timzsta
30th Aug 2002, 18:39
As Roy Castle said "dedication is what you need". If you want to do it badly enough you will find time.

If you work 9-5 Mon to Friday its tough. I am lucky to work shifts so my days off are for studying (did struggle today though after some numskul broke into my car at 2:30am last night). You do need to take your mind of your studies now and then, its important to get a few beers down he neck now and then to retain your sanity - its no good having all your licenses if you've gone mad in the process!

kissmysquirrel
31st Aug 2002, 10:23
Make it work with your schedule!!!

If you get in from work at say 5.30pm, sort out the meal, relax, then start some studying. Do two hours a night. Make sure there will be no interruptions. (Go to a quiet room and take the phone off the hook. Little things can distract you from studying). That will take you to about 9pm. Not hard to do really. Depends how much you want it. Studying for longer periods than this doesn't really work. Plan on doing up to about 3-4 hours on your days off. Why work yourself too hard. Give yourself an achievable target each week. Say 3 topics in each subject. The Bristol GS brush up course works well if you've done the course first and know the content.
Just remember to prioritise the work you plan to do and also get the following nights studying sorted out ready as you finish the present nights study. That way you don't waste time at the start of each study session.
That make sense?
Then when it comes to the exams and brush up courses, ask your employer if you can take the holiday time when required rather than booking the holiday time and rushing things to fit in with course/exam dates etc.
It can be done, believe me.
Good luck.

avrodamo
31st Aug 2002, 14:12
Im lucky. I work shifts, but i have to be quite strict with myself on when i study. First thing i do is get MS Publisher going and create myself a study plan on the calender.Put all my shifts in, days off etc etc. On a day off i will do 14 hous of study, split into 3 chunks with breaks in between. I start at 8am and finish at 11pm with hour breaks. In the evening i wont get in from work until 7:30, so i dont start study until 9pm until midnight. Nightshift...forget it. Have a few hours when i get up to myself.
Im doing my study with Bristol. They break the study down into fairly well balanced Modules. Im doing 1 module a week at the moment, during which i'll make bullet points from the notes and do the progress tests. Tip- Read the worked answers for these. They sometimes make much more sense than the notes!
I will then re-read the notes following the modules again, and again do the progress tests. I will then re-read the bullet points, learning off by heart things such as the radio frequencies and wavelengths. I find repeated reading is the best way to learn it. The more you read it the more some things that you didn't understand suddenly 'click'. I then plan a revision timetable for the last 2 months again on Publisher. I work out how much study time i have over that 2 month period and break it down as i believe its requied i.e. Gen Nav maximum revision time, Coms least.
Don't worry too much about practice papers. When you do your brushup course they are non-stop from Alex, so just know your stuff prior to you getting there.
Module 1 is very calculations based, knowing formula, being able to work answers. Module 2 is more factual based, and being able to recall facts and figures. Personally im finding Mod 2 harder than Mod 1 but its horses for courses!
Lastly always give yourself a day off. You need it otherwise your brain will explode, and the wife starts asking for a divorce when you explain to her Schuler Tuning!!;)

mike.oriordan
31st Aug 2002, 22:25
I have just finished both modules with Alex Whittingham at Bristol. Having started in Feb this year I needed 2 weeks in March for Brush up and then 4 days in April for Exams. It was the same in July and August with 2 weeks brush up followed by 4 days Exams. Alex is very good and the feedback is as good as any you will see anywhere else. Beware of infighting amongst the various schools - it is all Bull.... The feedback is all much the same, but some of the answers do vary. I don't think that is really significant. I passed all subjects first time and one or two with only a mark or two to spare. It was a fairly stressful few months and required some time away from wife an 4 children to allow focus and study.

With only 4 weeks annual holiday I don't see how you will get enough time off to complete all exams in one year. However if you are in no hurry then go for the 2 year option. None of it is Rocket science, but does require application and discipline - forget about largering it up for while. The amount it will cost you will probably be enough to focus the Brain cells.

Can't say enough about Bristol Ground School. I have heard a few bad mouth comments from other agency students, but Bristol got me through all subjects first time for ATPLA and I am a military chopper pilot and most of this was all new totally new to me although I have a pretty good handle on the Maths and that helps.

Good luck