PDA

View Full Version : Oxford looses its ILS

Virtual Engineer
30th Aug 2002, 12:20
It would appear that the ILS installed at Oxford in December has broken and been removed. I am sure there are many who believe that Oxford will be a better place with Sir langley at the helm:D

Alex Whittingham
30th Aug 2002, 12:41
Is that the human ILS? Do tell, I'll miss the sport if its true. Mike's one of the good guys.

wisealderman
30th Aug 2002, 14:49
what do you mean? Oxford has no ILS only a NDB DME procedure.
Oxford were offered a second hand ILS for £100 000 but refused and the word round the camp fire was that sir Frank Williams who has a Falcon based here even offered to pay for it. It would be nice to have one but the Mark 1 eyeball is by far the best method of landing an aircraft at oxford as the papis are not always working.

The Boy Lard
30th Aug 2002, 15:44
I think you may have missed the point Wisealderman!

Read between the lines!

Cheers

TBL:cool:

Splat
30th Aug 2002, 15:56
Don't get this - anyone care to enlighten me.....

Johnny 7
30th Aug 2002, 19:48
Interesting indeed - but I thought he was " second hand " & the sum mentioned seems a little on the low side ;) .

Virtual Engineer
30th Aug 2002, 22:15
Yes it is true, The human "ILS" has finally broken. I am sure if the rumour was not true then the perosn concerned would read this and reply. However, Mike as already noted is the man for the job and has the backing of the staff, which his predecessor did not.

Good luck to Oxford I just hope it is not too late to stop the rot that has set in:cool:

exfi
31st Aug 2002, 07:22
virtual engineer

where did you hear this from? i was a qfi there during the ils's last period of installation - pleanty were pleased to see its removal then as it was responsible for many aborted approaches. i phoned someone who is still their last night but he said that the ils is still their.

are you sure you've got your facts right? i didn't know mike very well but he seems well liked now he's running the flying as well as groundschool.

Mister Geezer
31st Aug 2002, 11:56
I take it a certain silver Audi will be seen no more at the car park?

Dr.Evil 2002
31st Aug 2002, 17:01
I think someones been telling little white ones.......... or have they?!?!?!?! :D

rattlesnake
31st Aug 2002, 19:55
More rubbish!!!!!!!!!!

I've spoken to the man with the silver Audi - He's still very much part of the organisation.

Virtual Engineer - maybe you've misheard what actually happened, which is that Neil Melrose the Airport Manager retired yesterday after many years of service. Some of his responsibilities have been absorbed by Mike Langley until a repacement is appointed.

By the way, please accord Mike his full title. 'His Grace, Lord Langley, The Duke of Chippenham' not merely a SIR.

Johnny 7
1st Sep 2002, 16:26
Are you sure about this ?

I thought the board gave him until August to turn things around ?