PDA

View Full Version : Heathrow Fun

BigBoreFour
12th Apr 2023, 19:22
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoFPMrCan50

Fly boys earning their pay and more. Delta the winner.

DaveReidUK
12th Apr 2023, 22:42
Landing runway swapped from 27R to 27L an hour earlier than normal, though not soon enough to prevent several GAs.

trident3A
13th Apr 2023, 09:10
That united 767 went around then diverted to Edinburgh squawking 7700 on the way in

SpringHeeledJack
13th Apr 2023, 15:21
Why would it have gone into EDI instead of STN or some airport closer in ? I was under the impression that the storm had been more problematic in the West and deep South of the UK.

DaveReidUK
13th Apr 2023, 18:21
Why would it have gone into EDI instead of STN or some airport closer in ? I was under the impression that the storm had been more problematic in the West and deep South of the UK.

The fact that EDI is already a United destination may have had a bearing on the choice.

jetpig32
17th Apr 2023, 06:17
That united 767 went around then diverted to Edinburgh squawking 7700 on the way in

Rudder Ratio Eicas after GA limiting to 15kt xwind. Fuel maday.

Airbanda
17th Apr 2023, 10:48
Landing runway swapped from 27R to 27L an hour earlier than normal, though not soon enough to prevent several GAs.

Is 27R worse in these conditions because of buildings/topography?

HOVIS
17th Apr 2023, 10:55
They have engineering support there.

SpringHeeledJack
17th Apr 2023, 12:57
Thanks to both of the replies. I can appreciate that UA have a presence at EDI, the distance was the issue for me, when perhaps a closer airport was safe and available. That said, no doubt crews running out of hours was a major consideration and so on :-)

jetpig32
17th Apr 2023, 14:32
Thanks to both of the replies. I can appreciate that UA have a presence at EDI, the distance was the issue for me, when perhaps a closer airport was safe and available. That said, no doubt crews running out of hours was a major consideration and so on :-)
Again, with Rudder Ratio failure, crosswind limit became 15kts.
1) use emergency authority and become a test pilot for a strong xwind landing against Boeing procedures.
2) find an airport suitable with less then 15kts xwind.

I guarantee you with this situation, United NOC and the crew were not thinking of crew duty time or engineering support for the chosen divert.

DaveReidUK
17th Apr 2023, 16:54
Is 27R worse in these conditions because of buildings/topography?

Yes, principally the two large BA hangars originally built for the 747 (TBJ/TBK, if I remember correctly).