PDA

View Full Version : The late AVM John Ponsonby (and the late Wg Cdr Neil Mitchell)

Thud_and_Blunder
5th Apr 2023, 19:59
I was surprised to see a privately-written obituary for John Ponsonby in my wife's newspaper last Saturday - he seems young (67) to have departed the fix. The obit, which I cannot link, did a good job of describing the gentleman I last encountered when he was my OC on my final Chinook tour (27(R), which was then the OCU). I had the task of putting together the 3-or-4 line Chinook training programme, a job which was frequently made difficult by the propensity for one of the other Sqns on the Station to burgle OCU cabs for weekend tasking. These aircraft would be returned unfuelled, in s**t state and frequently u/s, inevitably leading to delays and cancellations in our programme. To cap it all, that particular Sqn OC used to give John a hard time, with the Staish (who had previously commanded that other Sqn) giving the OCU little or no support, for crews being late off the conversion course by a day or 3. JP provided excellent top-cover for us while all this was going on, ensuring that we were able to make the best of what we had and turning out OCU graduates appropriately skilled and assessed. I wonder if his example was noticed and acted upon - the other Sqn OC's previously-unstoppable rise through the ranks and choice postings came to an abrupt halt at the end of his (last) Odiham tour; the Stn Cdr saw out his subsequent posting then found there wasn't anything for him other than a few months with the Americans in dustier climes. John, meanwhile, enjoyed further advancement, finishing as AOC 22 Gp some years later; not bad for an ex-RGJ rifleman and subaltern.

As an aside, I also noticed that one of my other Chinook OCU bosses died a few weeks ago - Wg Cdr Neil Mitchell made it to 74. Had the difficult task of running the OCU during the debacle of the Chinook MLU... not easy.

ShyTorque
6th Apr 2023, 00:23
Thud, I served alongside both gentlemen - I use the term in its full meaning. JP graduated from CFSH just after myself and we served together on the Gazelle. His naturally quiet demeanour belied his underlying strength of character and intelligence; it always seemed to me that he would surely gain far higher rank than most, myself especially. I hadn’t heard of his passing.

Having moved into the married quarter that Neil vacated in 1979, I next met him when he was one of our Puma Squadron “Beefers”. I then served with him as my flight commander and later as my squadron commander, both on 240 OCU (I still find it difficult to call it 27(R) Sqn). A true gent, always good humoured and always totally professional and supportive of those working for him. I miss him greatly, as will many others.

teeteringhead
6th Apr 2023, 13:22
JP died some time ago - October last year I think. Neil more recently; his Memorial Service is at Odiham on 18th April.

Both taken far too soon and greatly missed.

RIP mates.

Hueymeister
6th Apr 2023, 13:47
Had the pleasure of flying JP from HW to Scampton as he was giving the Sparrows their show auth. I knew he was a rotary dude of some repute..and that he was. He flew us there and back..I just nav'd..badly. RIP to both.