PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 Medical CAA UK

TaylorM_23
4th Apr 2023, 18:19
Hi there, I'm 23, Male, Caucasian. I recently went for my Initial Class 1 Medical,

The only thing that came up was an abnormality on my ECG reading:
HR 70
PR Interval 162ms
QRS 126ms

This was sent to a cardiologist and it's the Doctor has deemed me as "Make applicant unfit" "Right Axis Non specific Intraventricular conduction delay"
He has stated that I need 4 recommendations such as
1. Cardiology review
2.Exercise ECG
3. 24 Hour ECG
4. Echocardiogram.

If I do all of these recommendations and pass, can I progress to become an Airline pilot?
or does this report mean that I will never become an Airline Pilot?

wannabeboeingdriver
4th Apr 2023, 23:10
Hello, I came across your thread and had flashbacks of something similar that happened to me. Albeit I am not a doctor and can't obviously give advice on medical matters, but I too had to have all 4 tests carried out when I did my EASA class 1.

My AME reported I possibly had LVH because of an "abnormal ECG" .

I was obviously very concerned at my future and had no other choice but to book in private to have all the tests carried out. I would recommend doing the same and just trying to stay positive. I believe these extra tests happen alot and my AME told me more often than not it is nothing and just the ECG machine.

P.s . When I saw the cardiologist privately he stated ECG machines are useless for younger folks below 35 and said he has helped many young pilots tackle similar.

In the end I was told my heart was fine and received my class 1 cert soon after.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

Radgirl
6th Apr 2023, 20:41
Hi guys

Although I have posted on issues with ECGs if the electrodes are incorrectly placed, I dont think that was the issue with OP. Incidentally, it wasnt LVH so the two posts above are about totally different issues

I would recommend you see a cardiologist before any tests. He or she can repeat your ECG and give a second opinion. You may well need all the tests listed and some more but let them be run by a hands on cardiologist as opposed to someone who has never met you, taken a history or examined you.

I am afraid without more information I cant tell you what the outcome will be. Sorry