PDA

View Full Version : Informations

Drinala
26th Mar 2023, 19:01
Hello,

I would like to ask a few questions before committing myself to a training course...

I had a class 1 medical check-up and they saw that I had a heart murmur, so I did additional tests to see if everything was ok (cardiac MRI, stress electrocardiogram, holter).
I passed all the exams that were positive and I sent them to the medical centre, the result was that everything was ok and I was fit for class 1 but with a CIS limitation (36 months) with a holter, an electrocardiogram and a stress electrocardiogram to be redone every 3 years

Before starting a training course, I would like to have answers to my questions, the cardiologists have already told me that I have nothing at all wrong with my heart

If all the exmanens are good and positive, why did the pole put this limitation on me?

I would like to know if there were other people in my case?

I would like to know if it is possible to have this limitation lifted if my results are good in 3 years? I read that it was difficult

Can I go to another EASA country to see if they also give me this limitation. (without lying of course)

Can I go to the administrative court to have this limitation lifted?

How can I make an appeal? And do I have the right to do one already?

The cardiologists tell me that I have nothing, I have hope but I still have this fear of losing my class 1 because it is my dream

Thank you for your time

redsnail
27th Mar 2023, 17:42
I am not a doctor. :)
Well done on getting things investigated. Sometimes, the heart murmur can get worse as you age hence the active monitoring of your heart as you age.
Depending on the severity, it may mean surgery to repair the valve or replace it in the future. If caught early enough, and now you know you have it, it should mean that your heart won't fail in the future. This can happen if the murmur gets significantly worse with no interventions.
Yes, it has occurred in people I know who are pilots. He was told that if the surgery hadn't have happened, the heart probably would have failed in his 50s.

Radgirl
30th Mar 2023, 23:30
Hi

A murmur is caused by turbulent blood flow through the heart. This can be congenital (perseverence of the foetal blood flow) or acquired (eg a leaking valve). It can also occur without an anatomical cause and this is a flow murmur which means you have no pathology or risk.

Normally we would just do an ultrasound of the heart called an echocardiogram as it is cheap and will tell you the anatomical cause of the noise. A cardiac MRI is a v expensive way to get the same result.

You need to ask your cardiologist to show you the result of the MRI and explain what is wrong. Once the pathology is known it is possible to work out if there is a risk or not of incapacitation and whether your regulator is correct or incorrect. Answers to your other questions then follow

Good luck

Drinala
1st Apr 2023, 09:40
Hi

A murmur is caused by turbulent blood flow through the heart. This can be congenital (perseverence of the foetal blood flow) or acquired (eg a leaking valve). It can also occur without an anatomical cause and this is a flow murmur which means you have no pathology or risk.

Normally we would just do an ultrasound of the heart called an echocardiogram as it is cheap and will tell you the anatomical cause of the noise. A cardiac MRI is a v expensive way to get the same result.

You need to ask your cardiologist to show you the result of the MRI and explain what is wrong. Once the pathology is known it is possible to work out if there is a risk or not of incapacitation and whether your regulator is correct or incorrect. Answers to your other questions then follow

Good luck

Good morning,

I think you have misunderstood
I have already had an MRI, a stress echo and an echocardiography and all the results are good since I obtained my class 1 after having presented them all my tests. It is the tests that I have to do every 3 years that I have a problem with, they gave them to me as a precaution to follow the evolution (while all the cardiologists tell me that it is a benign murmur). My cardiologist told me that they gave me these tests to do every 3 years to be sure that everything is fine to cover themselves if there is a problem afterwards. But doing these tests again every 3 years is just stressful for me! That's why I would like to know if there would be any solution to remove these tests every 3 years, by what means?

Radgirl
6th Apr 2023, 20:53
Hi Drinala

Sorry, I wasnt confused but I apologise for not being clear.

The important thing is to identify the cause of the murmur. This can be done with an ultrasound for a couple of hundred pounds or an MRI for a thousand or more. I was just making the point to anyone else in this situation that they should ask for an ultrasound and to see a cardiologist not spend money initially on an MRI

Your MRI will have identified the cause of the murmur. The MRI isnt good or bad, it is a report. I presume if you have been told the murmur is benign there is no physical abnormaliity. It is a flow murmur.

As there is nothing wrong with your heart I see no reason to repeat the tests. If you came for an operation I would want to see the MRI report but then I would do no further tests as there is nothing wrong. I presume you have nearly three years before being asked to spend a fortune again so I would ask your cardiologist to be clear in his report that there is no anatomical or other pathology and then send it to your regulator. Even if you cant persuade them perhaps they will agree to let you get away with just an ultrasound next time