PDA

View Full Version : Licence Conversion - Australian --> American

fut_airlplt
30th Aug 2002, 06:41
Gday All,

I wish to inquire about the process of converting my Australian CPL and MECIR to an American equivalent.

I am also interested in undertaking the American ATPL theory tests.

How long will the whole process take ?
Where can I do it ?
How much will it cost approximately ?

Could anyone please field my inquiry or direct me to someone who can answer my questions.

weasil
30th Aug 2002, 13:08
best place to look

FAA Website (http://www.faa.gov)

Things are changing all the time at the moment.
Currently you do not have to hold an FAA license to take an FAA ATP written test.
Also holding an Australian Commercial LIcense is good enough to apply for a US ATP. It is basically an instrument checkride.

ATP Inc. (http://www.atp.com)

This is a company that does lots of conversion training.

aussie1
1st Sep 2002, 16:30
Hi there fellow aussie aviator.

To answer your questions about licencing conversion, the information given to you is incorrect.
I myself I have all australian rating, CPL MCIR, ATPL, but when I came to the US the FAA only credits you
1. Private pilot certificate and a multi engine endorsment

This is only a temporary pilot certificate and can only be used together with your aussie ratings. i.e must be current with a valid medical certifcate.
They will not credit you a instrument rating or an ATP
Here in the states it is called a certificate not a license.

Depending on how many hours you have, and type of hours flown, will depend on the type of training you will need to get a instrument, a commerical single, or a commercial multi.
If you have over 250 hours total then Part 61 is the way to go.
If you have between 150 and 200 then part 141 is the way to go.
I am a CFI/CFII/MEI and have done then for many south africans NZ and aussies.
The ATP is a joke. I did not even study for it and got 98%
If you would like some more detailed information email me. I would be more than happy to assist you in any way that I can.
fellow aussie aviator

weasil
5th Sep 2002, 14:15
Aussie1 you are only partially correct. I also hold an Australian license.

If you meet the aeronautical experience requirements then you do NOT have to hold any US certificates to apply for a US ATP.

Here is a link and an excerpt from the current regulations.

ATP Requirements 61.151 (http://ecfrback.access.gpo.gov/otcgi/cfr/otfilter.cgi?DB=3&query=14000000061&region=BIBSRT&action=view&SUBSET=SUBSET&FROM=1&SIZE=10&ITEM=1)

Check out this link for current regulations.
This is a frequent topic

"§61.153 Eligibility requirements: General.

To be eligible for an airline transport pilot certificate, a person must:

(a) Be at least 23 years of age;

(b) Be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language. If the applicant is unable to meet one of these requirements due to medical reasons, then the Administrator may place such operating limitations on that applicant's pilot certificate as are necessary for the safe operation of the aircraft;

(c) Be of good moral character;

(d) Meet at least one of the following requirements:

(1) Hold at least a commercial pilot certificate and an instrument rating;

(2) Meet the military experience requirements under §61.73 of this part to qualify for a commercial pilot certificate, and an instrument rating if the person is a rated military pilot or former rated military pilot of an Armed Force of the United States; or

(3) Hold either a foreign airline transport pilot or foreign commercial pilot license and an instrument rating, without limitations, issued by a contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation.

(e) Meet the aeronautical experience requirements of this subpart that apply to the aircraft category and class rating sought before applying for the practical test;

(f) Pass a knowledge test on the aeronautical knowledge areas of §61.155(c) of this part that apply to the aircraft category and class rating sought;

(g) Pass the practical test on the areas of operation listed in §61.157(e) of this part that apply to the aircraft category and class rating sought; and

(h) Comply with the sections of this part that apply to the aircraft category and class rating sought.

[Doc. No. 25910, 62 FR 16298, Apr. 4, 1997; Amdt. 61-103, 62 FR 40905, July 30, 1997]