PDA

View Full Version : UK 'Frozen ATPL' to Austrian 'Frozen ATPL'

stephen2688
24th Mar 2023, 12:11
Has anyone since brexit successfully converted a UK 'Frozen ATPL' to an Austrian Austro 'Frozen ATPL'

I'm hitting a brickwall when it comes to the radiotelephony license, I'm getting different information about this, according to Austro they want you to get a radiotelephony license from its government department, when I contacted them they said they would accept my radiotelephony from my UK license and then said I need to pass a test and that will be in German.

I'm pretty sure that everyone who has converted their UK license to an Austrian one hasnt had to learn German to get they're new license. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Central Scrutinizer
24th Mar 2023, 16:23
I went through exactly this, UK frozen ATPL to Austro frozen ATPL.

Austro Control needs an R/T "recognition" from the Austrian Ministry for Transport of your previously held R/T licence. This is called "Anerkennung eines ausländisches Funker-Zeugnisses". All you need to do is pay a fee and submit a signed form with attachments to this government body.

Attachments include: Your current R/T licence (I submited my UK PPL), birth certificate, ID photo, confirmation of payment (I submitted a receipt from my bank showing the bank transfer details).

You don't need a German test at all.
You will need an ELP recognition but this is a different story. Oddly enough, Austro will NOT honour your previous ELP, you'll need to get one specifically for your Austrian licence.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/882x317/image_ad39af5fcf1877347638d8081ce66c406cdb58ed.png

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1383x493/image_5dfe142b7bcb0c2efc3c8f31820850adda781f3a.png

stephen2688
24th Mar 2023, 18:12
I went through exactly this, UK frozen ATPL to Austro frozen ATPL.

Austro Control needs an R/T "recognition" from the Austrian Ministry for Transport of your previously held R/T licence. This is called "Anerkennung eines ausländisches Funker-Zeugnisses". All you need to do is pay a fee and submit a signed form with attachments to this government body.

Attachments include: Your current R/T licence (I submited my UK PPL), birth certificate, ID photo, confirmation of payment (I submitted a receipt from my bank showing the bank transfer details).

You don't need a German test at all.
You will need an ELP recognition but this is a different story. Oddly enough, Austro will NOT honour your previous ELP, you'll need to get one specifically for your Austrian licence.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/882x317/image_ad39af5fcf1877347638d8081ce66c406cdb58ed.png

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1383x493/image_5dfe142b7bcb0c2efc3c8f31820850adda781f3a.png
Your amazing! Thank you so much for posting, that has helped me massively! I've been banging my head against the wall all day trying to find out what to do! :ugh:

When you sent your documents to them, do you send the originals or copies? I don't feel happy about sending my original birth certificate encase it gets lost.

How long did you wait before you got your documents and recognition back?

Central Scrutinizer
24th Mar 2023, 18:42
I sent them an email with high quality scans of all documents. The birth certificate I sent them was downloaded from my countrie's government website and was digitally signed; so maybe the digital file itself counted as "original" in my case. It took about 4 weeks until I got the response letter with the "Anerkennungszeugnis" (Certificate of recognition).

This was 2 years ago, not sure whether anything about this process has changed.

stephen2688
25th Mar 2023, 19:35
I sent them an email with high quality scans of all documents. The birth certificate I sent them was downloaded from my countrie's government website and was digitally signed; so maybe the digital file itself counted as "original" in my case. It took about 4 weeks until I got the response letter with the "Anerkennungszeugnis" (Certificate of recognition).

This was 2 years ago, not sure whether anything about this process has changed.

Thank you for all your help on this. So do you apply for this solely by email and you don't send them anything in the post?

Also one of the documents they need is 'Proof of academic degree (Nachweis des akadem. Grades)' what document did you send them? I didn't go to university :rolleyes:

Thank you again

Central Scrutinizer
27th Mar 2023, 10:01
Hi, my pleasure,

The proof of academic degree seems to be optional, it's in brackets. But send them your highest education qualification if you want.

I did apply solely by email if I recall correctly, I'm not 100% sure. But try and phone them and ask, they are generally nice and responsive.
Austro Control is pretty good with emails in general, no need to be sending docs over by post.

stephen2688
29th Mar 2023, 19:14
Hi, my pleasure,

The proof of academic degree seems to be optional, it's in brackets. But send them your highest education qualification if you want.

I did apply solely by email if I recall correctly, I'm not 100% sure. But try and phone them and ask, they are generally nice and responsive.
Austro Control is pretty good with emails in general, no need to be sending docs over by post.

Thank you for all your help with this, very much appreciated :)