PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne Airport tunnels

PiperCameron
23rd Mar 2023, 22:46
I'm told there are tunnels beneath Melbourne Airport inhabited by giant rats and that in years long past international baggage handlers working late night shifts have suddenly vanished, never to be seen again. There may even be an abandoned train platform dating back to the first airport rail link project in the late 20th century, eons before Dan became king.

Anyone know if there is any truth to these rumours??

PoppaJo
23rd Mar 2023, 22:52
I was told it was under T3 and it is where all the failed Virgin executives are kept locked up never to run an airline again. One got out and escaped to Canada apparently running some other failed loco.

43Inches
23rd Mar 2023, 23:27
I'm told there are tunnels beneath Melbourne Airport inhabited by giant rats and that in years long past international baggage handlers working late night shifts have suddenly vanished, never to be seen again. There may even be an abandoned train platform dating back to the first airport rail link project in the late 20th century, eons before Dan became king.

Anyone know if there is any truth to these rumours??

The train station foundations were built in the 70s when the airport was built, no actual station was built, just the groundwork for it. Apparently unusable now as the T4 foundations are blocking access. As for tunnels, yes, everywhere, but considering the flooding around lately I'd be hesitant to spend any time in them.

And the Giant rats are just as PJ described above.

drpixie
24th Mar 2023, 01:43
The original tunnels were built during WW2 and sheltered Churchill from the little remembered Luftwaffe attach in Dec 1940 and Eisenhower Mar 1941. If you know where to look, the southern tunnels are still filled with vehicles and armaments, in good condition in packing material. There is a squadron of Mosquitos Mk34s which could be made airworthy, and several B25s but rather the worse for corrosion. :( The rumors that Hitler's Mercedes is mothballed in the tunnels are just rumors, there is no record of any Axis material stored in the tunnels.

On eyre
24th Mar 2023, 03:54
You’re all eight days ahead of yourselves 😳