PDA

View Full Version : Hours on one license added to another?

ILSapproach
23rd Mar 2023, 13:49
I've debating right now whether I should train for a dual license, UK & EASA.

The question I have is, say for instance I get a job with a european airline and over 3 years I accumulate 2500 hrs on my EASA license and then I get a job with a UK airline therefore then use my UK license, can you add those 2500 hrs from my EASA license to my UK license?

If not what would happen then with my UK license because after 7 years my ATPL theory expires if I don't have 1500 hrs by that point, which basically means you lose that license?

Are my statements correct?

Central Scrutinizer
23rd Mar 2023, 13:59
As far as I know, there's no such thing as "hours on an EASA licence" or "hours on a UK licence".
Hours are hours, they don't depend on any licence.

I happen to have both EASA and UK licences but my logbook is the same. I have the same number of hours regardless of who's asking.

ILSapproach
23rd Mar 2023, 14:13
As far as I know, there's no such thing as "hours on an EASA licence" or "hours on a UK licence".
Hours are hours, they don't depend on any licence.

I happen to have both EASA and UK licences but my logbook is the same. I have the same number of hours regardless of who's asking.

Ah ok I see, I wasn't aware of that, so when I get out of training I will get 'Frozen ATPL' on both licenses and when I reach 1500hrs I presume then I apply to both the UK CAA and EASA to get both licenses changed effectively from a CPL to a ATPL?

Central Scrutinizer
23rd Mar 2023, 15:25
so when I get out of training I will get 'Frozen ATPL' on both licenses and when I reach 1500hrs I presume then I apply to both the UK CAA and EASA to get both licenses changed effectively from a CPL to a ATPL?

Yes, that's basically it.

You still need to meet each authorities' requirements individually. What I mean is: the skill test could be used to apply for an ATPL from both authorities if the examiner has dual EASA/UK approval, same for the simulator/aircraft used; you'd have to do the paperwork twice presumably, once for each authority, including the examiner having to fill and submit two skill test reports etc.

But it's possible. I used my CPL skill test to apply for a CPL both in Austria and in the UK. My examiner was nice enough to charge me a single skill test fee instead of two (which I was fearing).
Worst case (if you can't find a dual EASA/UK examiner for instance), you may have to do two separate skill tests, one for each SOLI.

The flight hours themselves are not an issue.

BillieBob
24th Mar 2023, 10:02
Ah ok I see, I wasn't aware of that, so when I get out of training I will get 'Frozen ATPL' on both licenses No, you will receive a CPL from each issuing authority which, assuming you meet all other requirements, may be upgraded to an ATPL when you have achieved 1500 hours. There is no such thing as a 'Frozen ATPL' and the term will not appear on either licence.

rudestuff
24th Mar 2023, 10:55
You don't have hours on a licence. You have hours in a logbook. The licence (or certificate) is what allows you to fly to log those hours.