PDA

View Full Version : Fatal depressurisation in Fokker 70 of Air Niugini.

Mumbai Merlin
21st Mar 2023, 22:57
On 20th Feb Fokker 70 P2-ANT was involved in a pressurisation event in which 20+ were hospitalised after landing at Port Moresby after conducting a weather related missed approach at Mt. Hagen.

It is being widely reported and suggested but unconfirmed that one of the hospitalised passengers has since died.

PNG AIC investigating

Back Office
21st Mar 2023, 23:21
Check your facts....no one died

olderairhead
22nd Mar 2023, 01:58
MEDIA RELEASE 06/2023 23 February 2023

AIR NIUGINI FOKKER 70 AIRCRAFT, P2-ANT, CABIN PRESSURISATION EVENT ON DESCENT 20NM NORTH WEST Of JACKSONS AIRPORT, PORT MORESBY

The Acting Board Chairmanof the PNG Accident Investigation Commission (AIC), Captain Aria Bouraga, MBE today announced that the AIC has commenced an investigation into a serious incident involving a Fokker 70 aircraft that experienced cabin pressurisation eventon descent into Jacksons Airport, Port Moresby on 20 February 2023 at about 16:00 local time (06:00UTC).

Captain Bouraga stated that, “The AIC was notified by the Operator of the accident through email on Wednesday 22 February 2023 at 04:18 PM local time, 2 days after the incident.

”The aircraft was reportedly operating a scheduled domestic flight from Jacksons Airport, Port Moresby to Kagamuga Airport, Mt Hagen, Western Highlands Province when it conducted an air return back to Port Moresby due to weather conditions not being suitable for a landing in Mt Hagen. During descent into Port Moresby, the aircraft reportedly sustained a pressurization issue.

There were of 67 persons on board which included 2 infants. On disembarking the aircraft at Jacksons Airport, a passenger of the occurrence flight alerted Air Niugini Customer Service that a few passengers from the flight were bleeding from the ears and nose. On assessing the injured passengers, Air Niugini Customer Service then activated a response plan and had the injured passengers transported to Pacific International Hospital for further medical assessment.

It was reported that atotal of 22 persons were injured; 7 persons had serious injuries and were admitted, 6 persons were under review, and 9 persons were discharged from the hospital.

Captain Bouraga expressed that, “We have had 4 occurrence in this month alone and the AIC has been working around the clock to ensure that all accident site investigations are conducted fully and best practice for appropriate safety lessons are learned. I urge all operators to take proper precautions and ensure that appropriate safety standards are maintained.”

Captain Bouraga stated that, “The AIC has maintained its compliance with its mandate and Annex 13 to the Convention on International Civil Aviation for the conduct of investigations and will do its best to maintain these standards and quality, considering the significant budget constraints for its operations.”

More information about this investigation can be found at www.aic.gov.pg

More information about this investigation can be found at MEDIA RELEASE06/202323February 2023December2022

Mumbai Merlin
22nd Mar 2023, 02:21
Out of control !

Depress event in Q400

Cooked engine in Dash 8, new engine required to position aircraft home ..

PX will try to cover up the real reason of the Fokker depress event. SOP's and Climb, Cruise, Descent, pre-Land checklist are there for a reason.

Back Office
22nd Mar 2023, 04:20
Headline states FATAL.....nothing from PNG AIC regarding any deaths.....perhaps someone looking for a new career in tabloid journalism

Mumbai Merlin
22nd Mar 2023, 20:43
Hospitals have no obligation to report to AIC.

For you 'Back Office' clearly you are not new to aviation or Pprune. You know you way around too much .. I don't know if you have any PNG knowledge ... It's odd that someone who registered on Prune in Nov 2020 has waited two and a half years to make his/her one and only post;

The PX press release and initial PNG AIC statement were just after the event; and not updated.

BUT I will tell you that PNG is the "land of the Unexpected" nothing is a surprise! The wantok system is very powerful and information freely available.

Duck Pilot
22nd Mar 2023, 22:09
Nothing to say that the person who died didn’t have any pre-existing health issues that may have caused their death, and the person just happened to be on the flight.

Not defending ANG, however some PNG nationals aren’t exactly the healthiest people on this planet.

Mumbai Merlin
22nd Mar 2023, 22:37
Good response Duck! 100% correct and I believe the person whom passed [if the information is correct] was a minor or very young child.

Back Office
22nd Mar 2023, 23:01
Hospitals have no obligation to report to AIC.

For you 'Back Office' clearly you are not new to aviation or Pprune. You know you way around too much .. I don't know if you have any PNG knowledge ... It's odd that someone who registered on Prune in Nov 2020 has waited two and a half years to make his/her one and only post;

The PX press release and initial PNG AIC statement were just after the event; and not updated.

BUT I will tell you that PNG is the "land of the Unexpected" nothing is a surprise! The wantok system is very powerful and information freely available.

How I interact on the forum is of little concern to anyone. But rapidly approaching 2 decades of PNG experience......my final comment is that if someone actually did die then social media in PNG would have exploded and given it was a Hagen flight I suspect PX Haus would have been torched.

ad-astra
23rd Mar 2023, 00:04
The FR24 trace for this flight is VERY interesting!
Reconnaissance flight over Hagen and divert back to Moresby at FL310
Descent from FL310.
Straight in approach 14L and descent to 900'
Missed approach to 2700'
Sightseeing flight over Daugo Island a couple of times and an 'unremarkable" approach onto 14L.

Aircraft seems to have conducted further flights that day (if FR24 can be trusted)
AIC 23-2001 P2-ANT (https://www.aic.gov.pg/index.php/preliminary-reports)is now published and evidently the aircraft was not told it was going to land at Sea Level!
Jesus wept!

MechEngr
23rd Mar 2023, 01:17
6 PSI Delta? That would push the interior of the plane close to 20 psia from what was maybe 12 psia? So they managed to almost double the interior pressure?

My ears are thinking of bleeding just from the description - it took a long time to learn to get my eardrums to equalize. Thank you scuba training. But even diving I had the option to slow down if the equalization wasn't working.

"NOTE: Cockpit Voice Recorder evidence was overwritten and is unavailable due to a significant delay in notifying the AIC and continued operation of the aircraft"

Of course. Would not expect less.