PDA

View Full Version : QANTAS inflight catering

airbrake42
30th Aug 2002, 04:20
I travelled with QF recently and was impressed with the improvements in the meals.

Smoked salmon that filled the plate in bussiness class with a salad for lunch, hot meals were OK, prawns and salad for an evening snack on one sector and chicken and salad (plenty of) for a snack on another. I had a look at cattle class and for a snack they had lamb and ceasar salad, again looked like a substantial meal.

I recall Dixon recently saying they needed to improve their catering, well, he moved pretty quick.

Kaptin M
30th Aug 2002, 05:41
Expect to receive a critique in October - I'll be giving them a check ride then.

In all honesty though, I travelled Qantas on a domestic sector in September last year and felt that the boxed meal provided was sufficient. The international stuff has never varied much.
But in all honesty, I don't choose my airline because of the food factor!

And "Yes, I pay full fare." ID staff travel is about the same price as tickets bought through travel agents, however the advantage is it's confirmed seats, and I can dress any way I want.

Raider1
30th Aug 2002, 11:45
Well I hope they do get there act together. Not just for J/C.
Having recently traveled two long legs with QF, CBR/TSV and CBR/PER. Both were extremely dissapointing in Y/C. To the extent that I have told my manager that I am not willing to travel long haul again domestically. It was not that long ago that east coast to Perth was a pleasant experience.

MoFo
31st Aug 2002, 05:10
Kaptin M

No doubt QF management will wait with great trepidation for your opinion.
Like would anyone care?

airbrake42
31st Aug 2002, 17:06
MoFo.
yes they are otherwise there would be no improvement.
The whole point is that QF are listenig to their customers and taking note and acting

Going Boeing
31st Aug 2002, 20:19
QF management are listening - I spoke with a person in "Product Development" recently and I was advised that some significant changes will be introduced shortly wrt domestic catering. The main complaint has been quantity, so expect to have a full stomach after the new meals are introduced.

OzExpat
1st Sep 2002, 06:02
I haven't travelled QF domestic cattle class in the last 4 months or so but the meals could certainly have done with some improvement. By the sound of it, this has now happened and that is very good news indeed.

In the past, I've heard comments like :- "If the flight is less than 3 hours duration, no food service is necessary". I'm not sure that this is practical because it doesn't account for those flights that are airborne around a traditionally accepted meal time. It can also become a problem if such a flight runs late and, thereby runs into a meal time.

Anyway, I've travelled QF international cattle class recently - to LHR and back, in fact. The meals on their international flights are, by and large, quite substantial. If I have any criticism, it's that QF31 serves breakfast before arriving at Singapore. Then it again serves breakfast after departing Singas. This doesn't seem to make much sense and I'd have thought that a small snack, at the early hour prior to arrival at SIN is all that is necessary, if anything is actually necessary - brekkie can then be served after departing SIN for LHR.

The rest of the meals made good sense, I thought. All in all, I suspect that I'm one of very few who consistently speaks out in favour of QF's inflight service.