PDA

View Full Version : REX SAAB cabin temperature on the ground

mikewil
19th Mar 2023, 03:42
Does anyone know what measures Rex takes for comfort on the ground in some of our scorching summers at outback aerodromes?

Without an APU, the cabin/cockpit would get very hot very quickly so I was wondering if Rex does anything to motigate this.

Do they have ground air-conditioning carts to use at all these remote airfields or perhaps leave an engine running to keep the PACKs operating (unlikely)? Or do their regional customers and crew just have to tough out the entire pre-flight wait until the engines are started?

Brakerider
19th Mar 2023, 04:19
Does anyone know what measures Rex takes for comfort on the ground in some of our scorching summers at outback aerodromes?

Without an APU, the cabin/cockpit would get very hot very quickly so I was wondering if Rex does anything to motigate this.

Do they have ground air-conditioning carts to use at all these remote airfields or perhaps leave an engine running to keep the PACKs operating (unlikely)? Or do their regional customers and crew just have to tough out the entire pre-flight wait until the engines are started?

they use ground conditioned air where available, and leave an engine running at select ports in QLD under strict conditions.

transition_alt
19th Mar 2023, 04:20

They use a ground air conditioning cart at most outports where temperatures are high.

Rows 6-12 stay nice and cool. Row 1 - 5 get a slight benefit and the cockpit is just a greenhouse.

I believe they keep the recirculating fans on, however I imagine that’d mix hot air with the cold and minimise the cooling effect.

Queensland use single engine turnarounds to keep one air cycle machine running for cooling.

mikewil
19th Mar 2023, 05:15
They use a ground air conditioning cart at most outports where temperatures are high.

Rows 6-12 stay nice and cool. Row 1 - 5 get a slight benefit and the cockpit is just a greenhouse.

why doesn't the cockpit receive air? Is there no connection to the actual ventilation system and rather just a big duct poking through the external door?

smiling monkey
19th Mar 2023, 05:43
why doesn't the cockpit receive air? Is there no connection to the actual ventilation system and rather just a big duct poking through the external door?

You get a glimpse of how it's done here.

​​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmTb1MjgUq4&t=3142s

Lead Balloon
19th Mar 2023, 06:35
Very interesting video. I think "brutal" and "tiny plane" are exaggerations, though!

NaFenn
19th Mar 2023, 09:09

Rex do take some measures, but it does get uncomfortably hot in the cabin and cockpit during some turnarounds in the hotter areas.

All major ports and some outports have portable air conditioning units which are connected to the cabin through the cargo compartment. If ground power is connected the crew are also able to use recirculation fans to keep some airflow moving. It isn't perfect, but it's better than nothing.

As mentioned above, in some ports there are approvals to keep an engine running, but this is highly restricted to certain ports with limits on how many passengers can get on and off and a few other things.

The short answer is, when its hot at an outport - boarding is delayed as much as possible, and the priority is getting the engine started after all safety checks are completed. Even if its only one engine, the air can start circulating and cooling the cabin while the rest of the stuff in the cockpit is set up.

mikewil
20th Mar 2023, 00:41
Thanks for the insightful info everyone.

Can the aircraft be connected to ground power(air) such that the PACKs are operational or does the SAAB not have any provision for such an arrangement which necessitates the need to just pump in already conditioned air?

morno
20th Mar 2023, 01:33
The SAAB doesn’t have PACK’s

megan
20th Mar 2023, 01:34
Wonder how many complaints the airlines received back in the good old days of the DC-3 baking on the ramp in an outback summer about ventilation and temperature.

Capt Fathom
20th Mar 2023, 01:46
And the TAA F27's and Twin Otters!

mikewil
20th Mar 2023, 06:41
The SAAB doesn’t have PACK’s

That's news to me. what does it use for pressurisation and air conditioning then?

morno
20th Mar 2023, 08:04
That's news to me. what does it use for pressurisation and air conditioning then?

Actually after a quick Google, I appear to be incorrect. I assumed it would be like most turbo-props and it used an air cycle system (similar to what a PC-12 does for example), but not a PACK as such like you would find on a jet.

Carry on

halfmoon
20th Mar 2023, 08:28
Rex do take some measures, but it does get uncomfortably hot in the cabin and cockpit during some turnarounds in the hotter areas.

All major ports and some outports have portable air conditioning units which are connected to the cabin through the cargo compartment. If ground power is connected the crew are also able to use recirculation fans to keep some airflow moving. It isn't perfect, but it's better than nothing.

As mentioned above, in some ports there are approvals to keep an engine running, but this is highly restricted to certain ports with limits on how many passengers can get on and off and a few other things.

The short answer is, when it’s hot at an outport - boarding is delayed as much as possible, and the priority is getting the engine started after all safety checks are completed. Even if it’s only one engine, the air can start circulating and cooling the cabin while the rest of the stuff in the cockpit is set up.

Too dangerous to keep the right engine running?

We used to HP the right engine, x-valve it, and keep the main door closed as long as possible prior to boarding. With light loads it worked just fine. Full boat and it still got super hot.

Givelda
20th Mar 2023, 23:50
The technique in my F27 days in between ports in Western QLD to help cool the cabin down, especially those not far apart, was to keep climbing into cooler air until TOD was reached then head back down again. Then the hosties would close the blinds on the windows, but it inevitably was always hot in summer. No one seemed to complain about it in those days - but then things were a bit different in lots of ways.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1032x807/mitchell_airport_1981_eee54abe7382da2da0f712340478737b80d218 47.jpg
Mitchell I think

Deano969
21st Mar 2023, 03:52
LOL this must be from the 80s check the kid in those cross boardies and long socks and how the pax carry their luggage straight off the plane with wheels

tossbag
21st Mar 2023, 07:58
Wonder how many complaints the airlines received back in the good old days of the DC-3 baking on the ramp in an outback summer about ventilation and temperature.

That generation of people said things like, '**** it's hot' then got on with it.

Rather than current generations too busy trying to work out what a woman is.

BEACH KING
21st Mar 2023, 10:41
The technique in my F27 days in between ports in Western QLD to help cool the cabin down, especially those not far apart, was to keep climbing into cooler air until TOD was reached then head back down again. Then the hosties would close the blinds on the windows, but it inevitably was always hot in summer. No one seemed to complain about it in those days - but then things were a bit different in lots of ways.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1032x807/mitchell_airport_1981_eee54abe7382da2da0f712340478737b80d218 47.jpg
Mitchell I think
100% correct...and that kid in the "boardies" could well have been me!

mikewil
25th Mar 2023, 22:27
LOL this must be from the 80s check the kid in those cross boardies and long socks and how the pax carry their luggage straight off the plane with wheels

Not entirely correct. They literally had to carry it....suitcases didn't have wheels in those days!