PDA

View Full Version : So is CX a 20 year to command airline now?

herewego75
16th Mar 2023, 10:09
Asking for a friend....

Rie
16th Mar 2023, 15:51
No, about 13 years for a command course.

AQIS Boigu
16th Mar 2023, 16:04
10-11 years for the Airbus and the 777
15 years for the 747

5 years if you are ex KA

Dragon Pacific
17th Mar 2023, 00:56
Not only ex KA, any Group pilot can bid for Command after three years. Once the short DEC command course is approved it will be even quicker. Crazy to have ex KA narrow body CNs with extensive experience sitting around while the Neos sit around doing nothing too.

buggaluggs
17th Mar 2023, 09:04
That's right, much better to shaft the senior F/O's who've been doing the hard yards through COVID while patiently waiting for their turn to do a command course!

swh
17th Mar 2023, 10:54
That's right, much better to shaft the senior F/O's who've been doing the hard yards through COVID while patiently waiting for their turn to do a command course!

I think almost every FO who has 4000 hrs has either started, or will be starting command development very soon. The real issue is the SOs that spent 6-7 years in that role due to COVID are nowhere near 4000 hrs to be eligible.

missingblade
18th Mar 2023, 03:38
No worries - Xi is off to Russia to go "support" Putin tommorrow. This could potentially soon escalate to the point where cx will once again have way too many pilots. And planes...

nicoli
20th Mar 2023, 21:25
Why would China go to war with the US let’s be serious …

And even if they did it’s not just CX that would have too many planes it would be the all planet

Bekol delay
21st Mar 2023, 03:59
Russia and the US are not at war either but I haven't seen an Airbus or Boeing from a Russian Airline anywhere lately.

It won't necessarily take a war to ground an airline.

Go look in VTSP, plenty there

RAT Management
21st Mar 2023, 09:40

And even if they did it’s not just CX that would have too many planes it would be the all planet
Because the US have not won any war that they have entered into since WW2. Only gotta look at Vietnam to see how China will work out for em.

Fac6
21st Mar 2023, 22:07

You are delusional... Why do you think China have made its naval fleet the biggest in the world? Do you think it's just for show? There is NO doubt they will go for Taiwan, it's not a case of 'if' it's a case of 'when.' As an American, I think when the crap hits the fan, the USA will not go head-to-head with China, they will let Taiwan fall. It will be a case of chicken and China will not back down that's for sure.

It will be interesting to re-visit this thread around the end of 2024.

nicoli
22nd Mar 2023, 07:37
Maybe and that’s a big maybe having a big fleet is a way to assert their diplomacy ?

And maybe it’s a bit delusional to think two nuclear power would enter a war, specially China against their biggest economic partners ( US, Europe, Japan, … )

But hey I’m just a pilot not a geopolitical expert but pretty sure I would get a command in CX before a war between them and probably experience an economic or climate or I don’t know crisis before

Will IB Fayed
22nd Mar 2023, 10:47
It will be interesting to re-visit this thread around the end of 2024.
Revisiting the "Is CX a 20yr command thread" to find out if China has invaded Taiwan will be the first thing I do......
Thread drift much?
Edit: I would be interested to know if CX have given command out of seniority yet? It was certainly one of several reasons I accepted my forced redundancy.

Zi Peng
22nd Mar 2023, 13:31
10-11 years for the Airbus and the 777
15 years for the 747

5 years if you are ex KA

……unless you are on the ****list which is several pages long these days !
Also, seniority is gone and they are pushing ahead people that can’t or won’t leave.

Gnadenburg
22nd Mar 2023, 21:24
Over a few decades at KA I noted there were always the pilots on here and at the bar who said it was seniority that was holding back the profession. Well here you have it- market forces and no seniority. Enjoy!

Rie
23rd Mar 2023, 06:01
With EK coming in for a poaching session next week I think you'll start to see the SO to FO upgrade time reducing pretty quick. It won't affect much of the top end though. I just wonder who will be doing roll call for the naughty list.

Fac6
23rd Mar 2023, 10:44
Revisiting the "Is CX a 20yr command thread" to find out if China has invaded Taiwan will be the first thing I do......
Thread drift much?
Edit: I would be interested to know if CX have given command out of seniority yet? It was certainly one of several reasons I accepted my forced redundancy.

Agree, apologies for the thread drift.

controlledrest
24th Mar 2023, 00:51
Over a few decades at KA I noted there were always the pilots on here and at the bar who said it was seniority that was holding back the profession. Well here you have it- market forces and no seniority. Enjoy!

Dumb post Gnadenburg.

We don't have market forces. If the whole industry dropped seniority, we would have mobility of labour and market forces would apply and we would be a whole lot better off.

What we have is a company that had 29 billion HKD available to them to keep the operation intact, so that in the post covid world HKG would quickly return as a major hub. Instead the managers used covid to force COS18 on to us, triggering 1600 pilots to leave. They also drove many cabin crew out and decimated the ground staff. So now we are a shadow of what we were, unable to protect the home port from the likes of GBA and HKA.

In a desperate effort to increase pilot numbers seniority in CX has been binned to simply get bums on seats up the front, seriously pissing off a ton of SOs and FOs.

Gnadenburg
24th Mar 2023, 03:43
You have the perfect Hong Kong micro-environment to witness no seniority at work. It’s not your version of Utopia but it’s pragmatically as close as you can get to what you are after. All with the backdrop of booming demand and an inherent pilot shortage.

You can not undress the industry of seniority. It’s way too complex. You have issues such as localisation, labour rules, bonding, differing experience requirements etc etc.

No seniority? Welcome to cronyism, nepotism, bullying, punitive action or the silencing of those furthering the cause. All under the guise of meritorious promotions.

Seniority and valuing experience are the best driver of pilot conditions in my experience. I guess that’s a part of what’s happening in the States?

mngmt mole
24th Mar 2023, 13:44
A friends son flying a CRJ in the US for a regional carrier makes more than a CX 777 Captain. Market forces indeed...

Sea Eggs
27th Mar 2023, 17:35
A friends son flying a CRJ in the US for a regional carrier makes more than a CX 777 Captain. Market forces indeed...

The cost of living could be much lower, too.

veryoldchinahand
11th Apr 2023, 09:23
............and the tax much higher

Dingleberry Handpump
11th Apr 2023, 10:40
............and the tax much higher
or potentially not much higher at all.

Even if it was 50%, that’s a fair price to pay for not existing on the crowded, dirty, unfriendly, overpriced living wart on the side of an emerging enemy.