PDA

View Full Version : de Havilland Hornet research

Gladiator65
15th Mar 2023, 19:59
Hi,

I am working on a book about the de Havilland Hornet.

Where possible I would like to add some first hand accounts of what the aircraft was like to fly and maintain. If anyone can help with info I would be extremely grateful.
I'm also looking for suitable photos to help illustrate it. Again any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Fargo Boyle
16th Mar 2023, 00:23
I would start by researching Eric 'Winkle' Brown, whose favourite aircraft it was. Plenty of videos of him on youtube and he wrote several books, including 'Wings on my Sleeve' about his flying exploits. Also contact the de Havilland Museum at London Colney de Havilland Aircraft Museum (dehavillandmuseum.co.uk) (https://www.dehavillandmuseum.co.uk/)

Gladiator65
21st Mar 2023, 18:14
Hi,
Thanks. I have quite a few reference books/articles plus copies of the various ORBs.

Pypard
21st Mar 2023, 21:07
I'm sure you want something a bit more primary-source, so I'd recommend the usual suspects: National Archives, especially the AVIA, DSIR and BT files; the various accident reports often render images less-often seen. TNA also has a great archive of APs, Air Diagrams and drawings etc. Then DoRIS at the RAF Museum for log books and photos especially. The RAF Museum has a very well-catalogued collection (each item being catalogued by a lot of different criteria so that 'Hornet', 'xx Squadron' and even 'aircrew name' will often render forth stuff you'd never expect). Obviously the FAA Museum would be a good source for similar stuff.

I doubt you'll find many surviving Hornet pilots, but my first port of call in such circumstances was always to post several ads in 'Air Mail' the RAF Association magazine. I was always surprised at the responses I got that way.

Genghis the Engineer
21st Mar 2023, 21:32
Have you looked at the entry in the ATA Ferry Pilot notes?

G

Gladiator65
29th Mar 2023, 17:58
Thank you for your replies, much appreciated.