PDA

View Full Version : a380 in LHR 230313 - xwind limits

atakacs
14th Mar 2023, 07:08
March 13 was pretty windy in LHR with lots of go around and some electing to eventually divert.
For some reason it would seem that A380s had a particular hard time with it (EK29 eventually squawking 7700 (low fuel ?) into BHX).
Now I would have thought the bigger the better in such circumstances - has the 380 actually lower x-wind limitations ? If so why ?

quick update: Two Emirates A380s diverted - one to Gatwick, the other to Birmingham both declaring 7700 emergencies

SpringHeeledJack
14th Mar 2023, 14:12
A Singapore AIrlines 380 did a go-around at some point in the afternoon as well. Perhaps it depends on the type of x-winds ? The very large tail might make the approach minima more difficult to adhere to if the gusts are strong and quickly oscillating in speed, than say a more constant x-wind speed.

DaveReidUK
14th Mar 2023, 21:58
Crosswind limits may also depend on other factors in addition to the aircraft type - for example the airline, perhaps even crew criteria, and also the airport involved.

Null Orifice
15th Mar 2023, 13:39
G-OSRA a B727-200 of Oil Spill Response heading west at 8,000ft toward Cardiff/St Athan area right now.

dixi188
16th Mar 2023, 09:26
G-OSRA a B727-200 of Oil Spill Response heading west at 8,000ft toward Cardiff/St Athan area right now.
Wrong thread?

wiggy
16th Mar 2023, 13:18
I would have thought the bigger the better in such circumstances

Not necessarily,. Our 777s had higher dry runway crosswind limits than our 747s (though it all became more variable in later years when C of G and other issues meant some of your limits changed from sector to sector).

One possible reason for the 747/777 difference was the pretty minimal ground clearance of engines 1 + 4 on a 747 when it was pitched up on the ground- that meant you had to be very careful to be wings level when removing drift in the flare, the 777's geometry was obviously (?) more forgiving.

Whether there's a similar issue on the 380 and that has fed into limitations - don't know.

condor17
22nd Mar 2023, 17:41
All types differ , some I've flown have greater limits from one side than the other , some greater or lesser for t/o than ldg . High wing and some low wing T/props can be put on with a wing down to ease X-wind ldg .
As Wiggy says , it only takes 5 degrees of bank on a 744 to ground strike a pod engine.. With the oleos compressed ..
If you are flying Highlands and Islands of UK [i.e. Loganair ] with multi sectors per day . Then I suggest your X wind skill level is much higher than a long haul pilot flying to benign destinations , with perhaps 4-5 sectors per month ..
Perhaps , different operators have differing acceptances of risk than the manufacturer .

rgds condor .

10 DME ARC
23rd Mar 2023, 17:43
I was told the A380 is limited to rudder only inputs below 100ft(?) due to engine pods.