PDA

View Full Version : QF 380 popping slide in LA

LostontheLOC
8th Mar 2023, 12:01
Apparently a QF 380 popped a rear slide in LA not too long ago.

FAP showed disarmed, SO pulled the operating handle, there was a malfunction and the door remained armed.

Anyone know any further Details/Pictures?

morno
8th Mar 2023, 19:42
I struggle to understand why the SO would have been opening a door, let alone the rear one. That just doesn’t happen.

Tangosierra
8th Mar 2023, 20:24
Morno ,sometimes when the doors are armed before pushback we get a report on the flightdeck that one of the doors will not arm, we then dispatch one of the S/os from the flight deck to check the rearm procedure (disarm and then rearm) so it does happen. This sounds like one of these times

smiling monkey
8th Mar 2023, 22:48
The Daily Mail has a photo.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11833759/Qantas-crew-accidentally-deploys-slide-delaying-flight-Los-Angeles-Sydney-three-hours.html

LostontheLOC
8th Mar 2023, 23:00
I struggle to understand why the SO would have been opening a door, let alone the rear one. That just doesn’t happen.

Sounds like it did happen.

morno
8th Mar 2023, 23:29
Morno ,sometimes when the doors are armed before pushback we get a report on the flightdeck that one of the doors will not arm, we then dispatch one of the S/os from the flight deck to check the rearm procedure (disarm and then rearm) so it does happen. This sounds like one of these times

Makes sense, didn’t think about that. How did it progress to opening though, unless there was a complete failure in the door somehow.

Bad Adventures
9th Mar 2023, 07:01
The correct procedure was clearly not followed here. It’s often a faulty sensor that causes this induction on the flight deck. The correct procedure is to disarm the door and re-arm to see if this solves the problem. Jiggling the handle of the door while in the armed mode, love to see where that’s written in the SOPs.

Capt Fathom
9th Mar 2023, 09:36
The correct procedure is to disarm the door, re-open the door then close and re-arm to see if this solves the problem.

If there is a problem with the door, ‘re-opening’ from the inside could or will end in tears!

Often Flight Attendants just don’t use sufficient force when arming the door. Disarming then re-arming firmly will generally fix the issue. If not, hand the problem to the engineers.

Not sure where ‘jiggling’ came from? New media buzz word.

Occy
9th Mar 2023, 09:51
Whenever a door arming problem is encountered…

the correct Qantas procedure..

is not to send the SO to jiggle anything..:confused:
It’s not to arm and then re arm or otherwise fiddle…:D
it s return to the f#$&ing gate and get maintenance to fix the problem….:ugh::ugh:

for the precise reason that door arming issues have occurred before and slides have been deployed as a result. It’s not rocket science:rolleyes: and is explicitly written in the manuals this way, for this exact reason. :=

tdracer
9th Mar 2023, 16:01
the correct Qantas procedure..

is not to send the SO to jiggle anything..:confused:
It’s not to arm and then re arm or otherwise fiddle…:D
it s return to the f#$&ing gate and get maintenance to fix the problem….:ugh::ugh:

Since LAX is not a major Qantas base, who is contracted to do their maintenance there?

morno
9th Mar 2023, 19:25
Since LAX is not a major Qantas base, who is contracted to do their maintenance there?

Qantas actually have their own maintenance in LAX, complete with hangar.

Look Mum - no hands
9th Mar 2023, 19:52
The "jiggling" quote has probably come from an expert passenger via expert media, so maybe best not to read too much into the actual wording.

blubak
9th Mar 2023, 20:08
Oh really,Lax is 1 of the biggest maintenance bases that QF operate,lots of $$$ poured into that facility pre covid.

PPRuNeUser01531
9th Mar 2023, 20:21
Word is after the act of jiggling and subsequent activation of said slide,a yet to be named SO tossed his hat into a bunch of assisting pax,shrieked out an unprintable expletive and disappeared down the slide. Reports of a fresh faced young Aussie pilot applying for a job at Aeromexico have yet to be confirmed.

C441
9th Mar 2023, 20:36
One significant consideration in 'parking' the 380 in Victorville was that the aircraft could be brought back to service at the relatively nearby Qantas operated maintenance centre between the runways at the western end of LAX.

This of course brought significant criticism because they didn't use the Australian facility at Alice Springs despite being given billions in government money.

Eclan
10th Mar 2023, 00:24
Really? They've got one job to do (apart from slinging sandwiches) - I'm sure the old luvs appreciate having junior turn up to check they did it right.

Not sure about the jiggling... maybe refers to the motion of the bingo wings??

compressor stall
10th Mar 2023, 01:37
Interesting risk management approach.

Who would you rather be responsible for checking a door is (dis) armed and not cocking it up? Someone who does it multiple times a week, or a pilot who hasn't done it since the last training session 9 months ago, and before that probably the training session 12 months prior again?

C441
10th Mar 2023, 02:44
Personally, on the rare occasions I did actually arm or disarm a door I was particularly careful precisely because it was something I hadn't done since I last did EP's.

noclue
10th Mar 2023, 12:01
Surely it’s got a sticker on it armed/dis armed. Its and airbus after all, is it really harder than that?

PPRuNeUser01531
11th Mar 2023, 20:59
Yeah, well actually it is.......on various occasions the Airbus product has a mind of it's own. Come to think of it, so do all big 'ole jet airliners......one of the reasons we love 'em so much.

AerialPerspective
12th Mar 2023, 09:49
If there is a problem with the door, ‘re-opening’ from the inside could or will end in tears!

Often Flight Attendants just don’t use sufficient force when arming the door. Disarming then re-arming firmly will generally fix the issue. If not, hand the problem to the engineers.

Not sure where ‘jiggling’ came from? New media buzz word.
Jiggling was probably made up by the Daily Mail, which has to be one of the most low-rate gossip rags out there, even worse than Murdoch (wait, is it owned by Murdoch??).
I think they made jiggling up. Love the queue of Qantas haters in the comments "just as well she didn't jiggle it in the air" demonstrating their utter lack of knowledge of aviation. Also love the "causing it to inflate all the way down to the ground" Well, yeh, that's the general idea.
We all know this has happened before, it won't be the last time. Back in the old days we used to open the 747 doors from the outside. For two good reasons. 1/ We can see if the Girt Bar had failed to disengage in which situation we would give the CC the thumbs down and call an Engineer. 2/ Even if the door is armed, when opened from the outside there is a mechanism that automatically disarms it (or should) but ONLY when opened from the outside.
It always used to amaze me how many carriers insisted on opening 747 doors from the inside at an aerobridge. Whenever in the vicinity, I'd wait at the end of the a/bridge. Not too trusting of some of the other airlines, like CAAC swinging the door open while engines still running and no stairs in position on arrival at a stand-off bay.
I believe KLM had this open from inside procedure and actually deployed a slide in an aerobridge at YSSY many years ago, seriously injuring at least one ground employee.

AerialPerspective
12th Mar 2023, 09:52
Surely it’s got a sticker on it armed/dis armed. Its and airbus after all, is it really harder than that?

Probably in French a la "Retard, Retard" LOL

Global Aviator
12th Mar 2023, 17:29
We all know this has happened before, it won't be the last time. Back in the old days we used to open the 747 doors from the outside. For two good reasons. 1/ We can see if the Girt Bar had failed to disengage in which situation we would give the CC the thumbs down and call an Engineer. 2/ Even if the door is armed, when opened from the outside there is a mechanism that automatically disarms it (or should) but ONLY when opened from the outside.

Same on the baby bus so reckon probably the same on the big bus!

AerialPerspective
13th Mar 2023, 11:43
Same on the baby bus so reckon probably the same on the big bus!

Reminded me of an Australian operator who was about to return an A330-200 to the lessor. It was a flight to be conducted with a Flight Crew only.

It was to depart from the International terminal and here is an example of the nonsensical and counterproductive bureaucracy that gets created when people with no practical ability to understand the intent of rules and procedures make a minefield for everyone else.

The A330s were not operated internationally. No problem I said to the Captain, we'll get someone from international who has operated A320 doors and is 'signed off' to open the door when the aeroplane is on the aerobridge. Ohh, noooo, said the trainers and supervisors, those people are not 'signed off' on the A330. My reaction was that it's the same f-ing door, it's just bigger. Oh, no, we can't do that, because it's not on paper. This is basically akin to someone refusing to let a person open a cabin door on a 747-SP back in the day because they'd only been trained on the 747-200.

In the end when I explained it, the Captain said "Look, I'll go to the aerobridge and I'll open the f---king door!".

Glad to see logic prevails and even on Airbuses the old rules we followed with the bigger Boeings are still in place (I think the 737 was the only exception because it didn't have the disarm feature if opened from the outside.

soseg
14th Mar 2023, 06:07
Passengers kid opened plug type door emergency exit . Engineer we got did not have the approval for our airframes , however casa had an option that if a company person completed the correct and approved training course that person could re install a plug type emergency window exit . So I got a 1 min course by engineer , paperwork faxed , filled in signed and he watched me insert door back into window and off we went , all legal .

Why , do , you , punctuate , like this ?

Stop .