PDA

View Full Version : Ways to become a pilot in Australia

Dilian_Z
7th Mar 2023, 03:35
So I'm in year 10 and am wanting to become a commercial pilot for an Airline. I am curious to know what kind of pathways there are to get a CPL, Airline cadetships, Overseas cadetships?. Once you get your CPL, what would be the best way to get flight hours up, small private companies or flight instructor. Would it seem realistic to try and work for an overseas airline, maybe Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines or maybe some European Airline?

RichardH
7th Mar 2023, 11:01
Hi Dilian, nothing like forward thinking in year 10.

There are several possible routes to becoming a commercial pilot most of which have been discussed on other forums, please use the search facility.
A CPL won't be good enough for the airlines most will require ATPL knowledge plus an instrument rating IR, but it will depend where you end up.
Though it is nice to dream of flying for x airline a lot will depend on your residency rights along with the right to work & visas.
I should go along to some of the smaller companies around Oz & see what they are looking for & how did their pilots start off.

Best of luck.

rudestuff
7th Mar 2023, 12:50
The best/easiest place in the world to be a pilot is the US - because they have the biggest aviation industry in the world. As an Australian you have a unique access to that market. Yes, you could get an Australian licence, but that's one of the smallest jobs markets. You could also try for an EASA or UK licence but that would be pointless without the right to live and work there. You are limited to Oz/Nz, The US and the Middle East. Middle East is out of the question initially as they only hire experienced guys with an ATP/ATPL and 2000-3000 hours jet time. The US require an ATP which is 1500 hours. You could fly as a CPL or FI down under but you'll spend more time sweeping the hanger than flying - IF you can find a job in the first place.

My advice: Go to the US on an F1 visa. Train through to CPL/IR and CFI then build 1500 hours as a flight instructor. Once you have your ATP you can change to an E3 visa and work for an airline.

redsnail
7th Mar 2023, 19:41
Hi Dillan,
I haven't worked in Australia for over 20 years. Jetstar used to have a cadetship but you still had to pay for it. There are some full time schools as well as what's known as modular or part time schools. It is rare for a low houred pilot to get into a regional/major in Australia. Therefore, pilots gain hours by either by instructing which can be useful if you want to go into training later on in your career. Otherwise, many of us head out into the wild west to look for single engine charter work. Places like Kakadu, Kununurra, Broome and so forth. After some time, you then look for a twin job or a turbine job. Then you will hopefully get the timing right and the majors (QF, Virgin, etc) are hiring.
Overseas cadetships are usually for local pilots but the Middle Eastern airlines have run cadetships for foreign pilots (paid for by the candidate).
Australians tend to head for the Middle East and Asia once they have some experience if they want something other than QF, Virgin etc. Currently, the US is sponsoring experienced Aussie pilots.
UK/EU, well, you'll need some ancestral rights, eg parents/grandparents if you want to work over here.