PDA

View Full Version : Finasteride and/or minoxidil in EASA-land

danishflyer
4th Mar 2023, 15:24
Hello all

Any commercial pilots with EASA license and EASA medical who’s currently flying on any form of medication to battle thinning hair?

I’m loosing my hair for sure and I have probably tried every type of hair-regrow shampoo and what not but I am now looking towards actual medication to fight it.

Was thinking about 1mg of Finasteride to begin with but I want to consult with AME first. Anyone in here who’s had it approved by an AME?

I know it’s okay in FAA-land but cannot find any information within EASA.

Best regards
D-F

421dog
4th Mar 2023, 22:24
Shave it off and go with the Yul Brunner look.
Zero medical entanglements, and a much more variegated and interesting bit of crumpet on those layovers that allow a bit of bar time….

Radgirl
4th Mar 2023, 23:52
Yes it is OK with normal criteria: ie you inform, and dont fly for initial 14 days

Sharklet
5th Mar 2023, 12:43
Have you tried the topical solution of Minoxidil? No requirement to inform your AME AFAIK.

hassanizhar
9th Mar 2023, 11:12
I can provide you with some information that may be helpful.

Finasteride is a prescription medication that is used to treat male pattern baldness. It works by blocking the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT), which is thought to be a major cause of hair loss in men. The recommended dose for treating hair loss is 1 mg per day.

According to the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA), pilots who are taking medication for medical conditions must obtain approval from an authorized medical examiner (AME) before flying. The AME will assess the pilot's fitness to fly based on the medical condition and the medication being taken. In the case of Finasteride, it is important to note that it is classified as a prohibited substance by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) when used to enhance performance.

If you are considering taking Finasteride and you are a commercial pilot with an EASA license and medical certification, you should consult with an AME to determine whether the medication is approved for use in your specific situation. The AME will be able to provide you with guidance on the medical certification process and any restrictions that may apply to your flying activities.

It is also important to note that hair loss can have many causes, and there may be other treatments or lifestyle changes that could help. You may want to discuss your concerns with your personal physician or a dermatologist who specializes in hair loss.

Beaker_
12th Mar 2023, 22:15
Shave it off and go with the Yul Brunner look.
Zero medical entanglements, and a much more variegated and interesting bit of crumpet on those layovers that allow a bit of bar time….

​​​​^^^ This. Just own it. We all get older, go grey/bald. Your mates will make fun of it for about a week and then get used to it.

Personally I went from my usual haircut to something very short for a few months to get used to it, then completely shaved in the winter months so I didn't end up with a massive difference in skin colour between my head and the rest of me :)