PDA

View Full Version : Lufthansa turbulence

olster
3rd Mar 2023, 10:42
Literal in this case not industrial or otherwise. An actor’s partner in the Daily Mail described how the aircraft encountered I can only assume, severe turbulence out of Austin bound for FRA. 7 people injured and diverted to Washington DC. Here’s the thing: there is an overview of the route superimposed with weather returns. It is obvious that there is clear sky to the north of track but the route appears to go straight through the weather. I could be mistaken of course but call me a bluff old traditionalist going around weather is imperative particularly in the continental North America where there is complete upper radar coverage coupled with an ATC system designed to facilitate same. I could be wrong of course but chaos in the cabin, injuries and a subsequent diversion is not an optimum outcome.

W9SQD
3rd Mar 2023, 11:24
Reported in TV news as clear air turbulence.

Chgoquad
3rd Mar 2023, 16:33
Didn't see this posted yet: nypost dot com /2023/03/03/matthew-mcconaugheys-wife-aboard-lufthansa-flight-that-dropped-4000-feet/

Is it realistic the plane lost 4,000 ft of altitude from a lightning strike or is she likely just rattled by the experience?

ATC Watcher
3rd Mar 2023, 18:06
@ Olster : going around weather is imperative particularly in the continental North America where there is complete upper radar coverage coupled with an ATC system designed to facilitate same.
Significan WX yes but ATC radar cannot see CAT , only build ups/ fronts, CBs, etc. . For CAT we rely on PIREPs and we pass it on automaticaly as a warning, but not every airline changes altitude . US airlines are very sensitive to it, European less.

sorvad
3rd Mar 2023, 18:18
You wouldn't lose 4000 ft from a lightning strike, but you might well lose 4000ft from venturing into what caused the lightning that struck in the first place.... or very much more.

BFSGrad
4th Mar 2023, 00:14
The Flightaware track log for DLH469 shows a maximum altitude deviation of 300 feet from FL370 about an hour into the flight, with about 2 data points per minute recorded. At about 90 minutes into the flight when the FAA and Lufthansa reported the severe turbulence event occurred, altitude deviation is no more than 25 feet. AvHerald reports the severe turbulence occurred 150nm NW of KIAD, which is about 40 minutes later in the flight and coincides with the aircraft altering course and diverting to KIAD.

Klauss
4th Mar 2023, 18:53
The Flightaware track log for DLH469 shows a maximum altitude deviation of 300 feet from FL370 about an hour into the flight, with about 2 data points per minute recorded. At about 90 minutes into the flight when the FAA and Lufthansa reported the severe turbulence event occurred, altitude deviation is no more than 25 feet. AvHerald reports the severe turbulence occurred 150nm NW of KIAD, which is about 40 minutes later in the flight and coincides with the aircraft altering course and diverting to KIAD.

Turbulence report has this time-stamp: 202303020012
I read that as 12 minutes past midnight, on 02 March 2023.
So, that´s 1:03 hrs after takeoff, which flightaware puts at 01 March, 23:09.