PDA

View Full Version : Keeping safe under COS18

controlledrest
2nd Mar 2023, 00:55
Productivity based rosters are inherently dangerous, especially in the case of CX with its expanding Sick and Absence Management intimidation teams, low base pay rates and now roster change protections.

It is critical for the safety of our passengers, our own professional integrity and our long term health that we push back and refuse duties when it is not safe to operate. These times include when we are unfit for duty for whatever reason and when the company builds unsafe rosters (Perth double night flights with day sleep comes to mind).

There is great financial pressure on the pilot to operate, but over time we will recover lost income from refused duties as the flying task remains.

To quote Jack Bastard on Yammer '.....our systems are designed to move all crew in rank towards the annual targets over the course of the year and smooth out those fluctuations.'

Just say No.

Babyjet_dododo
2nd Mar 2023, 02:17
I like the part he wrote about it being a “contract”! What contract? You mean the loosely worded handbook that starts off by saying that all the T&Cs can be amended at the whim of the company?

ZootBoot
2nd Mar 2023, 03:13
I have had cabin crew on the flight deck in tears because of financial stress. We have all been there at some point and we all know how much that impacts our mental capacity, especially in times of high workload demand.

Cathay is doing a really good job of lining up those pieces of swiss cheese at the moment.

Babyjet_dododo
2nd Mar 2023, 04:56
I have had cabin crew on the flight deck in tears because of financial stress. We have all been there at some point and we all know how much that impacts our mental capacity, especially in times of high workload demand.

Cathay is doing a really good job of lining up those pieces of swiss cheese at the moment.

They don’t care, they’ll fill the ranks with people from India, Malaysia, Indonesia and other SEA countries. CX would consider they’re doing them a favour, moving them from a third world country with third world pay to a lavish place like HK.

ToCatLady
3rd Mar 2023, 08:11
The time to do anything was joining the thousand or so Pilots who left the company when enough was really enough.

BusyB
3rd Mar 2023, 10:28
Sadly, with all the stress on crews I no longer consider Cathay a safe Airline for I or my family to fly on.:(

LootedfromCPA
3rd Mar 2023, 16:47
At this point even the passengers will not be safe. There is an accident waiting to happen and management are doing nothing about it.

joblow
3rd Mar 2023, 17:39
Sadly the same erosion of safety standards is happening in the USA under equity , airlines are rushing to hire based on race and gender not ability
you only have to look at the rapidly increasing numbers of near misses in the USA in the last few months to realise where this will end up

main_dog
5th Mar 2023, 07:08
Actually, while gender and identity do perhaps play a role in who they hire (ironically an opposite one to that they used to target: not that long ago it was white commonwealth male only), it’s really all about the cost. Cost, cost, cost.

They want to spend as little as they can for their aircrew, which is why our old packages have been slashed by as much as 50%. If the 5,000 hour+ experienced aviators won’t come for that money, guess what? Just lower the required experience all the way down to nothing if necessary, and voilà.

All hat and no cows
5th Mar 2023, 13:53
Sadly the same erosion of safety standards is happening in the USA under equity , airlines are rushing to hire based on race and gender not ability
you only have to look at the rapidly increasing numbers of near misses in the USA in the last few months to realise where this will end up

So true, and the Atlas 767 incident proves its already happening. I am glad that FOs family is actually bringing a court case against atlas for passing him in training.. it’s probably the only way this kind of nonsense stops.