PDA

View Full Version : Western Sydney International assigned IATA code, WSI

AnotherFSO
1st Mar 2023, 22:14
From the minister's website this morning:

https://minister.infrastructure.gov.au/c-king/media-release/three-letter-code-puts-western-sydney-international-global-radar

The assignment of the three-letter airport code ‘WSI’ for Western Sydney International (Nancy Bird-Walton) Airport places the project on the world stage well ahead of schedule.

The early allocation by the International Air Transport Association (IATA) is another step towards the airport’s commencement of operations in late 2026.

The project has reached 40 per cent completion, with the bulk earthworks finished, and the airside, landside and terminal construction expected to reach its peak later this year.

WSI is a transformational infrastructure project that will generate economic activity, provide employment opportunities closer to home for people in the Western Sydney region, and meet Sydney’s growing aviation needs.

The airport will be capable of catering for up to 10 million passengers a year when it opens in 2026. Its features will include a 3.7-kilometre-long runway capable of receiving the world’s largest passenger aircraft, an integrated domestic and international terminal, and a dedicated cargo precinct.

Quotes attributable to Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government Minister Catherine King:

“The awarding of the IATA three-letter code is an exciting step forward in the development of WSI.

“The Australian Government is committed to delivering this game-changing infrastructure project for the people of Western Sydney and beyond, enhancing livability and boosting the economy.

“It will unlock endless opportunities across the region, including greater freight capacity, a boost for tourism operators and a shorter commute for locals wanting to travel on a domestic or international flight.

“Alongside the Sydney Metro – Western Sydney Airport Line, which we are jointly funding with the NSW Government, WSI is proving once again to be the catalyst for the socioeconomic transformation of this entire region.”

Quotes attributable to Finance Minister Katy Gallagher:

“The Australian Government is proud to be delivering a project that is already generating significant levels of investment from both public and private sectors.

“Three years out from completion, the Western Sydney Airport Project has already created over 3,800 direct jobs.

“With more than $400 million flowing through to contracted small and medium enterprises, as well as family and First National businesses, it’s clear this project is a real boon for the Western Sydney economy.”

PiperCameron
2nd Mar 2023, 03:40
Also known as Avalon Airport - Sydney (I wonder if they'll hold an airshow?)

“The Australian Government is proud to be delivering a project that is already generating significant levels of investment from both public and private sectors.

“Three years out from completion, the Western Sydney Airport Project has already created over 3,800 direct jobs.

“With more than $400 million flowing through to contracted small and medium enterprises, as well as family and First National businesses, it’s clear this project is a real boon for the Western Sydney economy.”

Spin, of course:
1. (Roughly) 3,800 people working on the project, some full time, some part-time and some only when the need arises does not equate to "over 3,800 direct jobs"..
2. Fortunately the $400 million is flowing to small and medium enterprises all over the country (plus some very large ones) - not just Western Sydney. Although Penrith Panthers has probably the busiest it's ever been...

Australopithecus
2nd Mar 2023, 06:53
From the time the site was chosen (37 years ago) to now has taken about 30% of the entire history of aviation. Good job.

VHOED191006
2nd Mar 2023, 09:41
From the time the site was chosen (37 years ago) to now has taken about 30% of the entire history of aviation. Good job.
'Straya.

Capt Fathom
2nd Mar 2023, 09:51
I seem to recall Reg Ansett said Sydney needed a second airport. He had no hope of ever seeing it.

tossbag
2nd Mar 2023, 10:56
Spin, of course:

There's some pretty big differences between AV and WS though;

AV is an aviation ****hole, it's a no mans land, miles from anywhere.
Begs GA to come there when 121 ditches them but ***** GA off when 121 gets subsidies from aviation Dan to operate out of there.
WS will be the middle of Sydney at some point.
WS will have freeways AND a rail connection.
WS will be easy to drive to.
WS is actually a chance to rival KSA for convenience for where most people live.
​​​​​​​AV will always be a ****hole.

10JQKA
2nd Mar 2023, 12:00
And no curfew I believe ? Wonder how they intend to manage the noise issues given what is happening with BNE noise currently ?

PiperCameron
2nd Mar 2023, 23:13
I wouldn't worry about curfew - there'll be nothing bigger than GA flying in or out for years yet. WSI just happens to be right in the middle of the Bankstown training area, so it's not like there's any curfew right now!

AV is an aviation ****hole, it's a no mans land, miles from anywhere. Yep. Just like WSI. Have you been out there lately? :-)
Begs GA to come there when 121 ditches them but ***** GA off when 121 gets subsidies from aviation Dan to operate out of there. Well, that's Victoria for you. Maybe the NSW government will be better?
WS will be the middle of Sydney at some point. And AV will be very close to North Geelong at some point.
WS will have freeways AND a rail connection. Same as AV (if you believe what they say)
WS will be easy to drive to. Same as AV (aka Geelong Airport) - if you happen to live in Geelong.
WS is actually a chance to rival KSA for convenience for where most people live. If "most" people live out west, that's true. Just as AV is convenient for folks who live in Geelong.
AV will always be a ****hole. Can't argue with that!

My comments in red above. :cool:

10JQKA
2nd Mar 2023, 23:57
I'd be surprised if they spent that much to not get a return straight away, but time will tell ?
Hazard a guess that maybe all the Med/Freight/LCC(Bonza) traffic moves asap ?

PiperCameron
3rd Mar 2023, 00:14
I'd be surprised if they spent that much to not get a return straight away, but time will tell ?

Are you kidding?? WSI is a government-funded project. They're just THROWING money away!!

Hazard a guess that maybe all the Med/Freight/LCC(Bonza) traffic moves asap ?

That's likely the assumption and may be why they're pushing the marketing now, years before opening date. I think they're working on the concept of "build it and they will come" (as Linfox did with Avalon).. but whether that actually happens is unknown at this point. Time will tell.

MickG0105
3rd Mar 2023, 00:15

First National businesses?! The real estate agents? Or did she mean First Nations?

Ivasrus
3rd Mar 2023, 04:20
WSI to Parramatta (centre of Sydney's population) by train = 40 minutes plus transfer time at St Mary's. SYD T1 to Parramatta by train via quickest route = 49 minutes plus transfer time at Central. A little quicker from domestic terminal station. It's a bit of an arbitrary comparison but quite enlightening given the criticism the metro train has received. WSI will have a sugar hit with freight from SYD and late evening schedules.

Interesting comparison AVV to Malvern (centre of Melbourne's population) by train ex Lara (how do you get there?) = 84 minutes. Skybus is slightly longer but at least it runs from the terminal. MEL to Malvern is as quick as 1hr if you jag a fast connection to the Franga express.

Ascend Charlie
3rd Mar 2023, 04:43
But wot abart the jet fuel falling frum the planes into Warragamba Dam and our drinkin water? Eh?

And the BK training areas will disappear, as will GA, and another gummint problem solved.

AerocatS2A
3rd Mar 2023, 07:16
Are you kidding?? WSI is a government-funded project. They're just THROWING money away!!

That's likely the assumption and may be why they're pushing the marketing now, years before opening date. I think they're working on the concept of "build it and they will come" (as Linfox did with Avalon).. but whether that actually happens is unknown at this point. Time will tell.
It has always been the expectation at National Jet Express, AKA Cobham, AKA Qantas Freight 146 operator, that WSI would immediately spell the end of 146 freight OP’s as the Qantas Freight operation would move to WSI where B737s can happily fly in and out 24/7.

tossbag
3rd Mar 2023, 09:01

AV is an aviation ****hole, it's a no mans land, miles from anywhere. Yep. Just like WSI. Have you been out there lately? :-) Yeah, well, not recently but I know my way around Syderney. And I reckon WSI will be more convenient to about 70% of the population.
Begs GA to come there when 121 ditches them but ***** GA off when 121 gets subsidies from aviation Dan to operate out of there. Well, that's Victoria for you. Maybe the NSW government will be better? I dunno whether NSW has the level of ****wittery that A****** has, he's F**'* bitch after all.
WS will be the middle of Sydney at some point. And AV will be very close to North Geelong at some point. Middle of Sydney ain't the same as North Geelong
WS will have freeways AND a rail connection. Same as AV (if you believe what they say) If you believe horse****.
WS will be easy to drive to. Same as AV (aka Geelong Airport) - if you happen to live in Geelong. Geelong? Dude we're talking a population of 5 mill as opposed to a couple hundred.
WS is actually a chance to rival KSA for convenience for where most people live. If "most" people live out west, that's true. Just as AV is convenient for folks who live in Geelong. Yes, most people DO live in the west, and 100% of Sydney people live west of KSA ;)
AV will always be a ****hole. Can't argue with that! I must argue, only because AV is a massive ****hole

KittyKatKaper
3rd Mar 2023, 21:00
It must just be me, but when I saw that WSI code I verbalised it as 'wussy'. (sad)

Because of the state LNPs' metro fetish, NSW now has 2 physically incompatible rail systems, which means i'd need to do 3 changes to get to WSI.

WhisprSYD
3rd Mar 2023, 22:56
It has always been the expectation at National Jet Express, AKA Cobham, AKA Qantas Freight 146 operator, that WSI would immediately spell the end of 146 freight OP’s as the Qantas Freight operation would move to WSI where B737s can happily fly in and out 24/7.

It’s written into the Sydney Curfew Act that all freight (plus anything other than medical) will no longer be curfew exempt between 2300-0600 once WSI opens.

AnotherFSO
13th Jan 2024, 04:45
A bit of fun history for those who weren't around at the time -- a clip from the Sydney Morning Herald, 18 February 1986. Oh, how we laughed.

The federal government bought up a bunch of land at Badgerys Creek, then decided to build 16L/34R at SY instead, and it took until 2014 for the decision to be made once again to go with the now-WSI.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1048x858/smh_18_feb_1986_badgerys_creek_7330b931b70034fc8a2be57c7f1c8 98d8d7af2b5.jpg

Ascend Charlie
13th Jan 2024, 06:52
Many times I flew a camera crew out to Buggery Crack to film some politician with a spade and a toothy smile, turning "the first sod" for the runway. Stop cameras, put away the spade, cover up hole, wait for the next election for the next politician...

DirectAnywhere
13th Jan 2024, 10:48
Ben Sandilands!

Even then he had remarkable insight in to what a basket case Sydney international was, and was destined to remain.

You could write that today, change a few of the names (and remove the bit about QF investing money) and it would be equally valid.

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
13th Jan 2024, 15:53
The awarding of the IATA three-letter code is an exciting step forward in the development of WSI.
Like it's actually a prize or something.​​​​​​​According to IATA rules, airport owners and governments can’t actually apply for a three-letter airport code directly. Rather, an airline that intends to offer service there needs to request the code. Beyond that, it’ll be the same $5,700 fee and an application, with a few supporting materials. Aspiring airport owners may be glad to know these are less extensive than when establishing an airline. The application for a new airport code needs to include both visual proof of the location (including signage) and confirmation that a scheduled commercial operator has plans to fly there.

So if you’ve built yourself an airport and dreaming of an IATA code, good news: all you’ll really need is to convince an airline to fly there.

topend3
14th Jan 2024, 20:48
I wouldn't worry about curfew - there'll be nothing bigger than GA flying in or out for years yet. WSI just happens to be right in the middle of the Bankstown training area, so it's not like there's any curfew right now!

My comments in red above. :cool:

https://aviationweek.com/air-transport/airports-networks/qantas-jetstar-commit-fly-western-sydney-airport