PDA

View Full Version : How the Mighty have Fallen

JMock
28th Feb 2023, 06:49
Was just privy to a response from CX to a new joiner’s query re licencing requirements to be produced:

Fuxake CX, who are you employing to check aircrew licencing standards? and American spelling
The sky has fallen in

Welcome to the third world

‘Thank you for accepting the offer in Cathay Pacific Airways.
Your induction date is approaching, we would like to remind you to ensure your HK ATPL license, medical and ICAO certificates are still remain valid on or before your date of your joining. Please find the information below for your reference of the License renewal procedures and information note, kindly be reminded all the license renewal expenses will be under your own arrangement and account.’

Will IB Fayed
28th Feb 2023, 11:00
Whats your point? A non-english speaking HR person has replied? I don't get it...

G Merch
28th Feb 2023, 20:38
Wow, the sky is gonna fall in.

Oasis
28th Feb 2023, 22:03
Into what? That is the real question here...

Australia2
28th Feb 2023, 22:24
‘Thank you for accepting the offer in Cathay Pacific Airways.

That’s where the problem begins . . . . . anyone joining must be aware of the company culture & attitude towards pilots.

Simple.

Gordomac
1st Mar 2023, 08:35
My joining letter for Iranair in 1977 read;" We are pleased to offer you B727 for which all ground, sim and flight training will be provided. To do this, you should resign from British Airways and join us."

Larfed and larfed and larfed, knew where I was heading and stayed where I was. For a while.

CX joiners, know where you are heading.

anxiao
1st Mar 2023, 10:58
I think the OP's point is that it is usual for an HR department in an international airline to have a good English standard. In Hong Kong it used to be so, but since 1997 in Hong Kong "state" schools English is now taught as a foreign language, and the medium of education is Chinese. The English language standards of the average Hong Kong educated learner have deteriorated over the past 20 years.

It can be tricky if you have a HK company and you want to do international trade, but the lack of mother tongue English does not preclude the ability of Flight Operations of an airline to do a good ICAO standards job. Otherwise the myriad countries that do not have English as a first language would have failed to develop and run safe airlines.

Don't get me going on Geert Hofstede and airlines, or we'll be here all week. And yes, I think the work that was done with his data was on the right path that certain national cultures are a bit iffy at the front end of an aircraft. But that is culture not language.

In a (or my) nutshell, the English standards of junior Cathay admin staff is lower than it was 20 years ago. Does it matter? Probably not.

Babyjet_dododo
2nd Mar 2023, 02:26
Ever wondered why line pilots are never at the CX roadshows and it’s only management pilots? It’s not because recruitment is trying to impress you, it is that no pilot in their right mind will stand up and have anything nice to say about the company.